New on here, sorry if in the wrong section / know it's been beat to death (subject) as well, but hoping wont bother you all too much...

Anyhow, I have a 1974 CJ5 with AMC 304 V-8. I installed a DUI distributor from Summit after being assured that the distributor gear was fine for use with OEM Cam gear. Well 9 months later it finally gave, onn Loon Lk rd (ribicon) of all places... in the snow... (longer than I've read on others stories...)

I have ordered up a "matched set" and a upper and lower gasket kit for the 304, and am waiting till all arrives before tearing into the engine.

Any suggestions on what to look for would be greatly appreciated.

I assume I will take off the timing cover / water pump section and replace gear, checking timing chain while in there (never have since buying) and look for excess debris as well. Also will be dropping the oil pan, and inspecting / cleaning, removing intake and heads to have a look at the cylinder walls and rings etc...

I plan to install a new filter and flush the system with new oil and filter, then remove and replace with new fluid and filter again. Suggestions on methods for this also welcome, though I have an idea of how.

Link on the gear set I bought (yeah I know your "bulltear" would be better, but not in the budget at this time...) http://www.summitracing.com/parts/OMX-1742303 Plus summit decided to help with the replacement costs for customer relations reasons...

thanks all ,
~ JR