Thread: 258 to AMC 360 swap - cooling requirements

Bulltear forum member New to the forum

258 to AMC 360 swap - cooling requirements

Hi guys, please help me out here. I'm swapping out my 258 for a AMC 360 in my '82 CJ5. I've read numerous jeep forum topics that say the swap will require a cooling upgrade from 2 to 3 core radiator larger 7 blade fan and shroud. I was all set to order a new 3 core online, but as I was removing my cooling system I took a glance inside the cap and it appears to be a 3 core. The fan was also a 7 blade clutch fan with the original shroud. So now I'm thinking I could just keep the original set-up and have the radiator flushed and pressure tested...? Anyone have experience with running a 360 with what appears to be a 258 heavy duty 3 core cooling package? The 360 has been built stock with the only upgrade of an RV cam, so it's not a HP monster. Thanks!
    Name:  Core_.jpg
Views: 2928
Size:  95.0 KBName:  Radiator_.jpg
Views: 2869
Size:  79.1 KBName:  7 Blade Fan_.jpg
Views: 2814
Size:  81.6 KB

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    You will definitely need to have that radiator professionally cleaned, but it is a 3 core, so try it. It's cheaper than replacing it. The fan should work too. The 6 cyl shroud won't work. The engine/water pump position off sets it differently than the V-8. The 6 and 8 shrouds are different.

What are you doing for motor mounts? The V-8 passenger side frame side mount is different than the 6. You'll also need the CJ V-8 specific block side mounts. I like the M.O.R.E. bombproof mounts, ran them for years without problems.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Bulltear forum member New to the forum
    Thanks Bob! That's exactly what I needed to know. I'll put a new shroud on my shopping list and I really hope the radiator shop can pull off a miracle cleaning on this thing.

As for motor mounts, I just recieved the M.O.R.E. Bombproof mounts yesterday from Qaudratec. Those things are really meaty, should easily hold a 360 firmly in place.

Larry
    82cj5
    82 CJ5, 258 w/ Weber & DUI, Borla Headers, T177, D300, D30(f) AMC(r), 3" lift w/ SRS, HD tie rod/drag link & shackles and on and on... Semper Fi