Bulltear Ad

Thread: Supercharger engine

Bulltear forum member Cook

Supercharger engine

With the new supercharger brackets why not start a thread on new motor combinations????
    I am thinking 401 block
    New Wiseco forged pistons (9.5 cr) or new Bulltear forged pistons
    K1 rods
    Arp main studs
    Ebelbrock aluminum ported heads
    Cam with at least 112 degree lobe seperation
    Torker intake
    750 holley vac sec carb
    hooker 1.75 headers
    Now need help on what supercharger to use and what else do I need.
    Already have 68 rebel wagon 401
    700 R gm automatic ati supercharger converter 3500 stall
    Ford 9 in 355 gears 33 spline mosher axles spooll
    Runs mid 12s in street trim in old combination..
    Would like to know others choices on combinations
    Goops

Bulltear forum member Swabie
    I am by no means an expert here. But isn't 9.5:1 a bit much for forced induction? Even with forged materials it might limit your boost levels. Unless you retard the cam. I don't know. Just my .02

You are probably correct in what you say. I already had new 9.5 pistons and am only planning on 7 lbs of boost. With aluminum heads and 60 thou head gaskets I feel it will work. I also have msd digital 6 box also msd boost timing retarder to cope with to much timing. Also went with Bullet supercharger cam with wide lobe seperation. Thanks for your reply hope others talk about there plans as we all can learn from others.
    Goops

Well not that a super charger wouldn't be awesome, but.... wouldn't it be cheaper and equally effective to spray it? You'll have aluminum heads to dissipate heat, the ignition timing, and a forged rotating assembly. You could have on demand power and save a few thousand bucks.

If your sticking to your guns about forced induction there are plenty of great minds that pop in these forums. Although it being winter and all might affect the traffic. But I'm sure Bulltear will chime in and give you some tips. His knowledge of these engines is invaluable.

I have run NOS for a long time .What your saying is short term right . Where I live nitros is 10.00 a lb .Bottle takes 10 lbs 2 or maybe 3 bottles a day at strip as each run is about 3 lbs. Race maybe 10 weeks in Summer.Do the math after 1 year supercharger is free. Also supercharger is power all the time not just when you hit switch. Have 3 sets of forged pistons and 1 set of edelbrock aluminum heads ruined by NOS over the years Heads 1500 dollars pistons 600 a set is supercharging looking cheaper yet??? Just a big THANK YOU to Matt for making brackets for an economical way to make power.
    Goops

Helpfull BT forum member Captain
    Goops i'd like to chime here but my project is on hold due to lack of funds.

if work picks up or this land sells then i'll be back to play seriously.

Norm

Question

Spike.

Just curious, how much spray were you hitting it with?
    Forgive me for hijacking but I've been wondering if its feasible for me to use 50-100 shot in cast pistons or not. Just a little extra oomph between 35-50 mph on the street.

If so what set up would you recommend on a
    401 9.5:1 worked over steel heads performer intake 670 CFM H TA and a low-midrange cam?
    Any ignition mods?
    I'm a diesel tech and am still pretty young. I love learning from people with experience.
    Any info is appreciated.

I can't wait to see your build.

NOS

I used cast pistons on a 390 40 over cast iron heads holley 750 vac sec with 100 shot nitros with not much problem. I used a separate fuel system and a pressure switch activation so you needed 7 lbs fuel pressure before NOS would activate. I also run MSD digital 6 box so when NOS was on timing retarded 2 degrees for every 50 horse shot. This was a dip switch so had to be set before run . I never tried Nos on the street so can't help much there. I have run as much as 250 shot but this is where you break stuff This was on a 74 Jav amx 401 .had many different combinations car ran consistent 11 .3 at 118 mph When you use more nos you also require better gas like c-12.
    Hope this helps some
    Goops Car now is 68 Rebel wagon 401 &700r4 trany 9 in ford rear disc brakes al around.

http://www.turboclub.com/MuscleCars/...401/AMC401.htm
    Heres an article that might help out.

Thanks for the NOS info.