Bulltear Ad

Thread: ROD BOLT REPLACEMENT

Helpfull BT forum member Swabie

ROD BOLT REPLACEMENT

AT THE LAST MONENT I WAS GOING TO REPLACE THE ROD BOLTS ON MY 390 PROJECT WITH SOME ARP BOLTS. THE RODS HAVE ALREADY BEEN RESIZED. WILL CHANGING THE ROD BOLTS REQUIRE RESIZING AGAIN? HAS NOT BEEN BALANCED YET SO THE WEIGHT DIFFERENCE ON THE ROD BOLTS ( IF ANY ) WILL NOT MATTER AT THIS TIME

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    Since the rod bolts are a press fit into the upper part of the rod, a difference in diameter of the bolt could make the journal slightly out-of-round. I've always been told that you need to resize AFTER installing new rod bolts.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Me too. I guess I'll keep the rod bolts that are in there. I wanter to try new new boron ARP bolts.

DECIDED TO PLAY IT SAFE AND REPLACE THE ROD BOLTS WITH ARP'S AND HAVE THE RODS CHECKED AND RESIZED. I AM WAITING FOR ANOTHER PISTON FROM VENOLIA. THE FIRST ONE THEY SENT TO ME IN 6 DAYS WHICH IS GREAT SINCE THEY HAD TO CUSTOM MAKE IT. WHILE CLEANING THE REMAING PISTONS I FOUND ANOTHER ONE THAT HAS SOME SKIRT MARKS I DO NOT LIKE SO ANOTHER IS ON THE WAY. THE REST ARE READY TO GO.