Bulltear Ad

Thread: Another newb question...

Bulltear forum member Swabie

Question Another newb question...

I got an AMC 401 recently and the engine was balanced with a Turbo 400 tranny flexplate. I got a new one to run with my TF727. Do I need to have it re-balanced with this new flexplate? Or since its externally balanced the flexplates should be okay?

Also.... is there a certain position the flexplate needs to be in for installation?

Since its weighted I figured it needs to be clocked in a certain way to work properly.

Thanks for all the help guys.

The fellas in Jeep forum dont tell me anything but to switch to a GM 350 crate engine.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    AMC engines are externally balanced. When they balance at a machine shop, the harmonic and flexplate are on the crank. Weight is added or removed (usually removed) by drilling holes in the harmonic and flexplate. Therefore, if you change flexplates, you need the new flexplate "match balanced" to the old one or the balance of the engine will be slightly off. Most good machine shops can match balance if you take them both flex plates.

The flexplate has one hole that is slightly offset. There's only one way it can go on that all 6 bolt holes line up.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Bulltear forum member Swabie
    Thanks again! I hope there are not too many more details. I am doing this in a dorm room with basic tools. My shop is back in Texas. I hear that my alternator bolt might be different as well as the exhaust bolts too. Where can I get the right sizes? I dont have any spare hardware with me here.

You guys are really making this process easy for a first timer with an AMC swap!

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    Somewhere along the line, they did use 5/16" bolts in the front and rear holes of the exhaust, the rest are 3/8". Most of them use 3/8 throughout. The alternator may be 1/2" or 7/16" depending on the brackets used. Any of the hardware can be replaced with grade 5 or grade 8 bolts from the hardware store, no special bolts.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford