Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
TF727 recently rebuilt slipping when cold

Thread: TF727 recently rebuilt slipping when cold

Bulltear forum member Swabie

TF727 recently rebuilt slipping when cold

I took my jeep out for a spin for a final cruise last night before I started my engine swap to put my 401 in place of the dying 360.
    It pulled out of the parking lot fine but when I pulled up to a stop light it didnt want to take off. I eased into a gas station and noticed it was a quart low but I didnt think that would make that much of a difference. It was rebuilt only 6,000 miles ago because it was sunk in a pond ( long story)...

I dont think the throttle linkage is adjusted properly because the tranny shifts fine at low speed but doesnt kick down when I give it WOT at speed or hold gears when accelerating.

Im in Colorado Springs, is this normal for cold weather or should I put some additive in and change the filter?

I have also read about adjusting the bands but I wouldnt know what I am doing there because I dont know transmissions very well.

If my knocking 360 will make it slip my new 401 with 450ft/lbs tq sure wont be help much either.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    1. Are your sure the centering ring was out of the back of the crank? If not you probly destroyed your pump. This happens when you force the tranny to the engine when the snout of the converter wont fit in the crank. Do you remember if it was VERY hard to get the tranny and motor to mate.
    2.The other thing is the TF727 absolutely needs a kickdown hooked up or it goes to 3rd gear at 7mph buring the tranny out.
    3. Also was that one quart low at idle in park or when it was sitting? It makes a difference.
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    Proper adjustment of the kickdown linkage on a 727 affects the clutch pressures inside the trans. If it's not adjusted right, it WILL slip. Probably didn't do any damage in a short hop, but could if you continue to drive it.

It doesn't get cold enough here to warrant any type of additive. Recommended ATF and a clean filter are all you need.
    Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Bulltear forum member Swabie
    I havent done the swap yet but I did remove the ring.

I have driven it with the current adjustment for about 1,000 miles.

I made sure it wasnt shifting too soon but I couldnt find the medium between shifting too soon or shifting sluggishly.

I checked it in neutral idling on a flat surface after 10 minutes of run time as per the dipstick.