Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
supercharged 304 build
Bulltear Ad
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: supercharged 304 build

Bulltear forum member Cook

supercharged 304 build

as the title suggests i have a amc 304 that i bought with the intention of swapping it into my 1989 jeep wrangler. i chose this engine because it was as far as i know the only v8 that wranglers were ever factory equipped with. so anyways i have the engine completely broken down and awaiting rebuild and as most people do i am looking for ways to gain more power from my engine. so my question is iv seen the kits available on this website for the supercharger and am wondering how i should build my engine to prepare for using the supercharger and getting the most out of the supercharger install (like what machine work should be done, cam choice etc etc). iv seen somewhere before a guy talking about easily achieving 500 horses out of a supercharged amc 304 and am wondering how exactly i should build mine to achieve this because iv never built a engine before. i also know a lot of people will say to just use 360 or 401 but i am set on using the 304 because of the cool factor.
    any help is appreciated.

the engine is out of a 1974 jeep cj5 btw i forgot that part

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    Absolutely possible to get 500hp thats not even 2hp per cube. You will want forged pistons to start with (buy them from us or anyone else). You will want to make sure your stock components are up to par (magnafluxing to check for cracks). You may want stiffer springs to allow the intake valve to stay seated depending on the boost pressure and definately hardened pushrods. Other than that their isnt a whole lot you need to do to the base engine.
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

thanks for confirming that! i was a little worried after reading what some people said about the 304. is there a specific cam anyone would recommend using with the supercharger? i would prefer to have a choppy/performance sounding idle but only if it actually benefits the engine. so you would recommend just having the block and heads cleaned and keep the dimensions stock? while the engine is apart should i do anything to improve oiling because i know the amc engines are known for oiling problems. I have so many questions because i have never done anything like this before and want it to be done right so my apologies in advance.

No dont do anything to the block except basic engine machining but make sure all the passages are drilled through especially the feeds to the mains from the passenger side. There are some profiles that work better than others you can consult most any camshaft mfgs about that.
    [COLOR=#000000]

alright sounds like a plan i just have to find a shop to do the work and figure out how much its going to cost and il be making some more progress. heres some pictures of the engine Name:  P6110083.jpg
Views: 1106
Size:  98.4 KBName:  P6110097.jpg
Views: 1142
Size:  99.2 KBName:  P6110099.jpg
Views: 1144
Size:  98.5 KBName:  P6120104.jpg
Views: 1067
Size:  94.6 KBName:  P6120111.jpg
Views: 1142
Size:  96.2 KB

would i be able to build this engine and use it in a daily driver?

Absolutely
    [COLOR=#000000]

ok I'm pretty much abandoning the supercharger idea for now because of my budget. now my question is i still want to get to a decent horsepower and torque rating out of my 304 so how do i achieve this without the supercharger? i already plan on boring it out and using pistons out of a chevy 305 and do machining to the heads to allow them to flow better. i still haven't found any cam ideas out there except for the edelbrock performer which would be fine but if at all possible i would love to obtain a little of a choppy idle. so my goal here is to bore it out to about 318 or 327 cubic inches and get as close as i can to 400 horsepower and torque while still being able to drive it on the street. i will hopefully be heading to the machine shop here within the next week so any ideas are greatly appreciated because i have no idea what I'm doing and there isn't much out there on building a 304. iv also seen on youtube someone built a 304 similar to what i want to build and used stainless steel racing valves so theres another idea to increase flow a little.

To use 305 pistons you need to remachine the valve reliefs to 18 degrees. The way to make power is through compression.
    [COLOR=#000000]