Thread: Bellhousing ID missing two bolt holes ?

Thank you from BT Junior wrench of the Forum

Bellhousing ID missing two bolt holes ?

I have a cast iron Bellhousing with the numbers 421 664 ! The Bellhousing to block pattern is correct for my Amc 360 with the exception of 2 missing bolt holes at the ten and two o'clock position ? Starter positioned on passenger side ! Shouldnt the correct bellhousing utilize 6 mounting holes ? btw thanks Bulltear for the V8 alternator bracket ! Worked perfect for the CS series alternator !
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    an amc was my first car and so will also be my last car/jeep

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    421664 is one digit too short for an AMC part number. I'm not positive, but what I think you have there is the bellhousing that International used in the 401 powered Travelalls.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

I Guess I Shouldn't be Complaining as it does fit my Amc 360 Block and the starter engages with the flywheel ok ! Its just those 2 missing bolt holes that throws me a curve ball it just seems that 4 bolts isnt enough to retain to block ! Does Amc Share a Bellhousing pattern with any other Make ? Maybe I'm Over Thinking ? I cant find any other numbers on this ! I Know IH wasnt the greatest with part numbers ! I do see a tiny IH Stamped near the 421664 !

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    Do you have a throwout arm and bearing? What trans does it fit? AMC bellhousing pattern is unique, but was used with both V-8 and I-6 from about 72 up. The earlier I-6 was different. The reason I say IH is that they used a T-18 and T-19 trans that didn't use mounting ears, the trans was bolted to the bellhousing from inside the bellhousing, then the whole unit was bolted to the engine. That trans bolt pattern doesn't match any that I'm familiar with and I cant see threads in the bolt holes.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

It has the internal Crosshaft ! It came with a T19/Dana 20 Combo, Bolts are accessed from inside Bellhousing ! I cleaned the dust plate/shield that goes between Bell and Engine and I see Witness Marks of an Inline Engine But this very well could have been behind the original 6 , Jeep was born with a Straight Six Judging from the Vin !