Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: WALT'S 1968 AMC AMX

Thank you from BT Junior wrench of the Forum
    Cam gear shot the dimple between white out dots is from a snap punch,did nothing on the distributor gear. Got a MSD set coming. Someone told me there some soft gears out there and could they lowered the zinc content in motor oil, and I should add some?Can anyone give me some advice ? Please post it or call Walt 916-747-0051 thank you. That was my third gear in tho motors with low millage .

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    We learned about fuel pressure and blow thru turbos on a friends Studebaker. With a mechanical pump, you get about 6-7 PSI, once the turbo pressure exceeds that, the pump cant push fuel into the bowls and the engine starves. Had to go to a variable pressure electric setup to get it to run right.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Thank you Bob ,we are using a fuel pressure regulator that has vacuum line going to a vacuum source thats resets the fuel pressure the higher the boost the higher the fuel pressure.

Helpfull BT forum member Captain
    Walt, go with the bulltear matched gears, change both at the same time, DO NOT USE A NEW DIST GEAR ON A OLD CAM GEAR, or visa versa that will almost 100% result in a failure.

use two new gears together for best results, even if the dist. gear looks good, if the cam gear is munched then the dist. gear is junk, guaranteed!

Swabie thank you I am going with both gears already got a set of MSD,did not know bulltear had them.

We got it going with new MSD gears, have a oil pump mid plate and bypass plate on order from Bulltear , with the Zinc oil additive I hope that will take care of the gear problem. We are trying to get a stumble out of it around 2,500 rpm then it comes on nice and strong, we have went to larger jets,that helped some ,going to try larger squrters next. Any addvice out there ? please speek up thank you Walt. PS cant wait to go to a Mopower show later this month, they normaly have a good AMC show up.

Good morning , we are having a hard time geting it to run right ,going to take it to the dyno shop,thay have the know how and equiptment to set it up.Have a appointment for Friday morning I will let you know how it gos. Walt

Bulltear forum member Cook
    Any word on dyno session.?
    Goops

Yes Mike told me Friday, he got the stumble out of it took it around the block,it falls out on W.O.T. he wants to get a different linkage arm to bring it the secondarys in sooner told him we had one coming from AED got here yesterday .So I hope things will come togeather Monday.

Well I get the car back today not happy puts out 315 HP & 400 TQ thats 20 TQ more and 25 less HP? He got most of the stumble out ,but it falls off at the hi end I dont know what to do except may get a second appenion.