Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Building a 401 - Page 3
Bulltear Ad
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Building a 401

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    Both of those are more of a street cam. They also have a taller intake lift than exhaust, which is backwards to a torque cam. With a lobe center of 107, you get a lopey idle, but you lose bottom end, I'd keep the lobe center in the 110-112 degree range for torque.. It really looks like you're looking for the sound and not the performance. I had really good luck in my 360 with the 2132 Edelbrock performer, but the new 7132 might be worth a try. The Summit K8600 is also a good torque cam. Cams that don't come in until 2000+ RPM are generally street cams and lack off idle torque.

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...2132&submit=go

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-k8600

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Bulltear forum member Cook
    looking for more performance, not loolking for sound necessarily, these were just a few of the cams that i discussed with some of the guys on the jeepForum.com. I'm open to any and all ideas at this point since I have not started yet. Looked hard at the Lunati we spoke of earlier but probably will definately not go with the Summit cams. Why would I lose the low end with these Comp cams?

Thanks

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    More performance with a 401 means more duration. A Comp 268 is the minimum if you want more in the midrange.
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

Helpfull BT forum member Swabie
    Have a look at the COMP XE262, Crower 45241, and the Lunati Voodoo 262/268. I think these will give you a good idle for crawling, good throttle responce in the mid range, and enough top end to get you to a healthy 5000 rpm.

But in order for anyone to help you pick the perfect combo, they'll need more info: Comp ratio, tranny, axle gears, crawl ratio, tire size, weight, intended use, etc. What is the wheeling like in your neck of the woods - hilly and rocky crawling or rev limiter bouncing mud holes?
    80 CJ7, 401, T18, Dana60/14bolt ...