Bulltear Ad

Thread: which rocker arm fasteners do i need?

Bulltear forum member New to the forum

which rocker arm fasteners do i need?

rebuilding a 304 with bridge rocker arms. I have searched but cant seem to find which size n type of fasteners I need for the rockers.

also should I purchase a new oil pump kit? not to sure about the existing one.

thank you
    Last edited by chatham; 02-08-2013 at 01:41 PM.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    The fasteners are just shoulder bolts, 5/16" x something long. Make sure you use at least grade 5, preferably grade 8. I have an engine in the shed with bridged rockers, I'll pull a bolt later this afternoon and get an exact size.

On the oil pump, if you're unsure replace it. They're around $50, it's cheap insurance. Be sure to pack it with something so it primes. I usually use assembly lube, but a light white grease or vaseline will work in a pinch.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

I will replace the oil pump. thanks for the info

Sorry, didn't get to this. Got called out for snow duty at work. Went to a swap meet Saturday morning, then worked snow from 3PM-3AM. Not a whole lot of ambition on Sunday. I'll get to it later this week.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

and not have it.
    Henry Ford

no problem. I suspect we were at the same swap meet in Denver..... I live in the Springs.

5/16" x 1.25" the factory are grade 8. Name:  bolt.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  39.7 KB

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by chatham View Post
    no problem. I suspect we were at the same swap meet in Denver..... I live in the Springs.
    Saber's show at the stock show complex? We go here every year. Didn't find anything I had to have this year. Bought a full set of 68/69 pulley's and brackets last year for $20, needed them for my Rambler project. Found a guy there this year with an Edelbrock Performer manifold and aluminum valve covers for AMC, along with a Holley carb. Wouldn't split the set, and wouldn't budge on his price of $550. I told him I could buy brand new from Summit for about $100 more.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

and not have it.
    Henry Ford

it was my first time up there. a buddy of mine goes every year. some good stuff there.

got some questions about the engine. just to recap, i have a short block with pistons, cam (going to replace with elderbrock cam) and crank. this thing has been sitting for over two years in a plastic bag. it looks very very clean. should i be concerned about sitting for so long? i havent tried to turn it over yet. i will get to beginning to reassemble it this week. the heads have been done as well and are very clean with new valves and i think springs. so basically should i just leave the short block as is, replace the cam and finish assemble the motor or since it has sat for so long take it apart and check things? i can see that whoever assembled it did use lube and it appears to have done right.

i took stock of my rocker arms and bridges. i have two rocker arms that are in bad shape due to rust at the point of contact on the vavle spring end. i plan on replacing these two. the others have some surface rust but the contact surfaces look good. one of the bridges is broken so i am trying to find a replacement. the bridges i have look like they are cast aluminum. having trouble finding those. by the way why do they use bridges and is it necessary to use them? also thanks for the info on the rocker arm bolts. again tuff to find them but jeep 4x4 parts has them.

If you click on the "store" tab (top of the page), the bridges and rockers are available new here at Bulltear. The aftermarket bridges are steel with aluminum pads (3 pieces) but will work the same. The bridges keep the rocker arms square on the valve, since there's nothing to "guide" the pushrods. Remove them and the rockers will twist to the side. You can eliminate them, but you have to do considerable machine work on the heads and buy guide plates.

The bridged rockers were used from late 73 thru 91 on all the AMC V-8s. Find an old Wagoneer in a boneyard and it will have them.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

and not have it.
    Henry Ford