Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
jamscal's 5x10 Gantry Build - Page 7
Bulltear Ad
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: jamscal's 5x10 Gantry Build

Helpfull BT forum member Swabie
    Did it all day again today.

The A would lock up, I'd swap X and A, and they would both work.

At the end of the day A locked up again, I swapped cables and it followed the cables (X was now locked and A moved).

Checked all the connections. It seems early today it was locked and after I checked and tightened everything in the back of the computer it worked...but I don't know if it's related

I was able to cut parts intermittently. I cut small ones and baby-sat until it happened again.

My thought is it's whatever drives the A axis

but don't know.

-James

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    Strange issue! Give CandCNC a shout and let them know what you found out. They may send you a new drive to install. On the replacement under warrantee they cover those parts.

903-364-2740
    or
    903-771-4824
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

Called them today after it happened again.

They said it's likely a connection problem and not a problem with the drive or motor and recommended replacing the db25 cable and tightening all connections, including some of the individual screws on the driver inside the box.

I did the tightening (though nothing seemed loose), scraped the pins on the connectors a bit and put it back together.

I then proceeded to cut some parts with no issues. Hopefully I'm good.

-James

Often times it is the most simple issue. Over the years we have found that an actual issue with the electronics has been rare and often operator, software install or PC requirements often cause issues.
    [COLOR=#000000]

Well after my last post it just went downhill, progressively acting up, to the point where the A motor is locked no matter what now. I'm going to post on their forum.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepsr4ever View Post
    Often times it is the most simple issue. Over the years we have found that an actual issue with the electronics has been rare and often operator, software install or PC requirements often cause issues.
    I hope it's simple but it's been the same computer and software from day one.

I found this maybe similar issue and it was a bad gecko drive. Don't know if this applies to me.

http://www.bulltear.com/forums/archi.../t-18986.html?

-James

Everything is still going fine. Wanted to update since I didn't post how the last issue was resolved.

I swapped drives in the box and it cured the issue...the act of removing and retightening all the contacts probably did it.

Anyway coming up on one year with the table and am going to post a one year update soon.

Great! We barely ever get feedback because things are running smoothly.
    [COLOR=#000000]

Some things I've done, wish I'd done, and things I've learned, general thoughts (It won't be all in one post I'm sure):

I caulked between the rail and tube as pictured above. I should have also caulked between water table and tube. You can see that water has run under the water table and dripped down. (I'll probably do this the next time I clean the table)

I should have done a better job painting and also painted the water table inside and out.

I'm glad I got a machine torch and hand torch. Being a fab shop I of course need the hand torch and it's much easier to cut up the skeletons.

I use a cheap 18" bolt cutter to cut up skeletons where possible. On good nests I can cut up a lot without breaking out the torch.

Other low buck 'tool' is a 2' stick of wood, maybe 2x2". I use it to push the corner of the plates to line them up.

Other tips:

I have a horizontal and vertical cut off programs (single, no offset lines the length of my travels ) I can run to help cut up the left overs....helps sometimes.

I have a ton of drawings/folder now but sometimes I know I'll never use the gcode again for a nest so I put that in a folder I call NEVERAGAINNESTS and don't feel bad when I delete the contents. Still have a bunch to clean out from foolishly saving them.

Also if I make a quick oneoff part I just name it delete.dxf and save it over the previous delete.dxf (and .tap)

My table is full of dross again and it's past time for a cleanout....still cutting everyday.

-James