Bulltear Ad

Thread: motor mount question

Bulltear forum member Cook

motor mount question

Hey all,

So I have a 79 CJ7 with 360/T18/Scout Dana 300. Running D60/14 bolt on 38 Swampers. I have a AFI injection kit on the AMC. I went wheeling a few weeks ago and broke both motor mounts! They were stock style rubber mounts. Not sure on age as they were there when I bought the Jeep. So I went to a nearby carquest (since I was 4 hours from home) and bought 2 replacements stock style again - liked the 6.49 price! Put them in that evening and broke the driver side 30 minutes out in the trail the next day!
    What gives? Bad replacement mount or is something else up? Really not wanting to get something like MORE bombproof mounts at $250....anyone have any ideas?
    I thought about buying another set and putting a 9/16 bolt completely through to help strengthen it....

Thanks
    Joe

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    If they are the same as a FSJ mount there's a guy on IFSJA making some that use spring bushings as an isolator they look well built, looking to get a pair for my 82 J20 plow truck.
    parting several FSJ'S

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    Go to M.O.R.E. (Mountain Off-Road Enterprises). Get a set of their "bombproof" motor mounts. They aren't cheap, but won't break. I ran them for years in my similarly equipped CJ7 without a problem. Also, if you don't have the torque mount down on the skid plate next to the tranny mount, get one. The factory didn't put it there just because it looked good.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Helpfull BT forum member Swabie
    Check your tranny mount too - most likely its not helping keep everything in place, puting more strain on your engine mounts.

I've got some of these:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pt...view/make/jeep

~ $100. They have lasted ~ 10yrs behind my stock 401/T18/3.15:1 Dana20, but they are starting to fail now.
    80 CJ7, 401, T18, Dana60/14bolt ...

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    X2 on the prothane mounts. Ive been running them in my 450hp 69' amx 4spd since 2008. I know the mounts are getting abused, on the strip Im dropping the hammer @ 5200rpm & they keep taking a beating
    he who dies with the most toys wins!!!
    69' amx 390 4 speed best et 11.85 @ 116mph
    VOTEBUTTON