New member here, new to the amc 8"s I have had a few 6"s I searched and read some but could not find exactly what I was looking for.

My 140k mile 86 grand wagoneer amc 360 is going into my cj7.

It will turn 2400 rpm at highway speeds, (69 mph) I don't plan on being at that high a speed for more than 10 minutes at a time.

I will check the compresion and report numbers but I'm sure they are acceptable, i will also start the engine on the stand and make sure I don't here any knocking or rattling around.

If all seems well, I'd like to give this engine some love on a budget, I want a long lasting healthy motor.

Torque is my number one want, I want to have excellent off idle performance as well as cruising at 2500 rpm comfortably for short distances.

Parts that I think I need, or worth the upgrade is

Elderbrock performer intake,
New carb, I think (right now it has a two barrel motor craft)
Timing chain cover,
Timing chain double roller
Distributer
Cam
Maybe a head job
New valve springs if necessary.
Should I also change the lifters if I change the cam?
I understand that factory manafolds are great for low end performance.

Tell me what parts mate well together to make this engine right.
I don't understand cam talk so, more lift less duration is all kinda over my head but I'll go google it right now just incase I NEED to understand it.

Thanks allot for the help just tell me what parts work well and are proven to be good quality.

Also I hear about distributer gear issues and I'd like make sure I don't mess up any new parts I get.

And I'm super excited to finally have a v8 jeep