Thread: Oil cooler plumbing/oil filter adaptor mounting questions

Bulltear forum member New to the forum

Oil cooler plumbing/oil filter adaptor mounting questions

I am getting ready to finish the installation of my oil filter relocation kit and oil cooler, I have looked at all the posts and I think I may have my mind wrapped around this but I am not 100% positive. I still have a few questions on plumbing the oil cooler and mounting the oil filter adaptor (just to be on the safe side) #1 Can I remove the pipe plug above the port marked out on the oil filter relocation plate, install a hose barb in its place and run a line to the oil cooler? Rather than using T fitting off the out port on the relocation plate. #2 Coming out from the oil cooler to the oil filter adaptor, can I run the out line from the relocation plate to one in port and the out line from the oil cooler to the other in port on the oil filter adaptor? (I have a multi filter adaptor, it has 2 in and 2 out ports) Or should I use a T fitting and run both the relocation plate/oil cooler out lines to one in port on the oil filter adaptor? #3 Is there a mounting height and line length restrictions or guidelines for the oil filter adaptor and oil cooler? When this is all done I want to switch the oil to SAE 30 or 15W 40 dino oil for what's left of the summer, any suggestions?

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    MC may have a different way, but I'd plumb it inline, on the outlet side of the oil filters, so you're putting filtered oil thru the cooler, and cooling as the last step before returning to the motor. like this:

engine adapter (out) =====> (in) oil filter adapter (out) =====> (in) oil cooler (out) ====> (in) engine adapter

(====> being a hose)

I never put a cooler on my CJ, but I did have the dual remote filters. I mounted them to the bottom of the battery box.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Bulltear forum member New to the forum
    Thanks for your reply tufcj - I wanted to run the oil cooler in-line between the filter out and relocation plate in at first, the hose barbs on the oil cooler are part of the cooling tube and the O.D. and I.D. has been reduced. I thought about cutting the barbs off the cooler but the cooling tube O.D. is smaller than the hose barb O.D. that are used on the engine plate and filter adaptor. I would really have to crank down on the hose clamps and hope it doesn't leak or blow off or reduce the hose and barbs to the O.D. of the cooling tube. I finally had time to call and ask about plumbing the oil cooler, I can run it like this engine plate small port (out)=====>(in) oil cooler(out)=====>(in) filter adaptor 2nd port. I forgot to ask why it needed to be plumbed before the filter, hopefully this and the new radiator, thermostat and water pump will cure my extended idle/low speed overheating with a side of substantial loss of oil pressure issue. If it does I will drive it to the AMC nationals in Cordova and ask the forgotten question in person, your Jeep is one of the few pictures that I can view. I like your set-up, how much extra oil capacity did you gain? I have a similar idea with the oil cooler mounted low(er) on the pass side and the filter adaptor mounted high(ish) on the drivers side, it all is going to depend on the deal that I can squeeze out of my hose vendor.