Well been driving the Jeep now for 4 years road/off road, hill climbs and I'm finding that more and more I'm missing the gear ratio in the CJ7 that the Grand Cherokee SRT8 has on the highway. 3 speed verses 5 controlled electronically really seems "too Old School" now having a 0-60 MPH time of 3.5 seconds and a top speed of 175 MPH on the SRT8 really makes the CJ doggy by comparison,
I've been thinking and doing some research about options..

1. A gear vendors type of overdrive would be the end all... however it won't work with the Quadra Trac or any transfer case so thats out.

2. Stepping up to a 4L80 GM transmission is an option but not "Period Correct" for my Mid 1970's build. It may be an option someday...

3. Started looking at "New" options of a retrofitted lock up converter for the Turbo Hydro 400 transmission supposedly being released in the future but real expensive and I don't really want to be the Guinea pig on the prototypes.

4. Go full balls out with a GM 6L80 and maybe a full Hummer 242 full time transfer case .....maybe someday...

5. Resurrect the old 1965-1967 GM TH400 switch pitch transmission...

Yep I'm picking number 5 for now, I created a build thread on Yellowbullet to try to gather some info that has been lost over the years..

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=594064

Several companies during the 1970's thru late 1980's offered a switch pitch modification, Kenne Bell, ATI, Rossi transmissions but alas due to cost and somewhat lukewarm interest all the above companies stopped their offerings in kit form.
A couple custom shops will do the swap but throw in shipping a full TH400 across the country along with cost plus quotes... the cost of this mod starts looking way to expensive for the average guy.

So if you've got any experience or comments post them here or there..

I like the ability of having two different stall speeds, the low stall I have now is great now for cruise my only other problem is I run out of gear at 135 MPH.. wish I had more..... a overdrive transmission would get me more but.......

So for now I'll try this modification.... it seems economical for now.