Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
401 with to HIGH of oil pressure

Thread: 401 with to HIGH of oil pressure

Bulltear forum member New to the forum

401 with to HIGH of oil pressure

I just put together a 401 with a bulltear remote oil filter plate. everything else is stock, I have striped 3 distributor gears in about 4 hours of running the engine, (all used). the engine makes well over 100 pounds of oil pressure when off idle, high enough it pegs the gauge. I have checked the relief plunger, and shortened the spring to see if it made a difference but still the oil pressure pegs the gauge when the engine is revved. I have not seen or heard of this issue. that is with the engine warm too.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    You need to send that plate back into us for inspection.
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

I used 1/2 hydraulic hose to plumb my filter housing. today i took the adapter plate off and installed a stock filter mount and another distributor, my idle oil pressure is 50-60 doesn't spike. that is cold.

Could be a pressue relief hole sized too small. That is why we should look at the plate. Hole needs to be at least 5/16
    [COLOR=#000000]

I was thinking that the relief hole was a bit small compared to the stock one.The whole is maybe 1/4 inch, (no calipers at the house) the stock hole isn't round and a lot bigger. could the placement of the hole effect oil pressure? what about the end clearance of the gears in the front cover? could i just enlarge the hole?

You could enlarge the hole to 5/16 but you would need to deburr it well enough to let the plunger slide. It is a .5625 +.002 -.000 hole
    [COLOR=#000000]

I had to deburr someof it when i got it. the hole is the same size as the bolt holes. i set a gear on the plate and the teeth shut the hole off just about completely. since the plate is machined wrong and it caused me to destroy the distributor gear any chance of getting a gear?

I had to deburr some of it when i got it. the hole is the same size as the bolt holes. i set a gear on the plate and the teeth shut the hole off just about completely. since the plate is machined wrong and it caused me to destroy the distributor gear any chance of getting a gear?

I am experiencing the same issue with my 304. Have not ran it long enough to tear up a gear yet, but have blown two oil filter gaskets out.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    Stock oil filter adapter? I would suspect the relief valve is stuck. Remove the large nut on the filter adapter (careful, it has a spring behind it). The plunger should move freely the full length of the passage. If it doesn't, clean with some brake cleaner. Make sure the plunger is installed pointy end first. I had one stick and blow the gaskets out of the filter.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford