Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
More issues, now with the new PM45!
Bulltear Ad
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: More issues, now with the new PM45!

Bulltear forum member Cook

More issues, now with the new PM45!

I feel like I'm constantly banging my head against the wall!! I have been fighting issues with my import plasma cutter since I got the table (I knew it would be an issue, but it was all I had). Some times it would cut great, other times, it would just stop cutting and act crazy. Never did get the THC to work with. So, I upgraded to a used PM45, and got it all wired up. When I first started testing it, I was using the old worn-out drag-cutting consumables that were on it when I got it. The first couple of tests it was firing correctly from Mach3. I figured the software/wiring was good, so I changed out the consumables for a new set (not drag tips) and since then I haven't been able to fire from Mach3. It clicks and the air starts, but no arc. If I leave the torch button on (with no arc) for a couple of seconds the THC control box keeps clicking (green light on) and the pm45 fan turns on like its cutting. The plasma still fires by hand with the new consumables installed.

I haven't even started to figure out the THC control!

What am I doing wrong?? I so want this table to work correctly all the time, and its driving me NUTS!
    Last edited by ralphxj; 08-27-2013 at 07:50 AM.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    You bombarded the controller with EMP pulses from the first plasma. A drag tip is absolutely not correct and shouldnt let the machine fire until it is contacting the plate. Clicking means the relay is working and doing its job. You need to make sure there isnt a break in the circuit from the relay to the torch start wires in the plasma cutter. By bypassing the torch start by use of drag tip you may have damaged your PM45. I am not 100% sure on that one. You should verify that with Hypertherm secondly to checking the wiring.
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

I can't catch a break!!! I'll shoot Jim a PM on Pirate and see if there is some kind of protection or reset somewhere. It still fires by hand with no problems, so not sure why it wont fire from Mach3.

If the relay is clicking Mach is firing it but the wiring from the relay to the plasma cutter may be the issue.
    [COLOR=#000000]

Ok, so I did some testing, the Plasma fires if I short the 2 wires at the THC card (per Jim Colts suggestion), but when i try it through Mach3 it just keeps clicking and flashing the green light. Is there anything else I can test? The plasma works by hand, and works when fired with the trigger wires at the THC card?

If the relay is clicking its doing its job. I would look for a short between relay and plasma cutter.
    [COLOR=#000000]

It is possible the relay is bad however clicking tells me it isnt. I will see if we have another relay for you here.
    [COLOR=#000000]

Its more of a buzzing with the green led flickering. It seems like its trying to open the relay, but doesn't fully open. The red torch light on the main control box is on while this happened, and it keeps doing that until I click the torch button off in Mach3.

I haven't had a chance to open everything up and see what else might be wrong with the wiring.

You may need a new relay however the outputs in the drive board gets slaughtered from continuous abuse from hi-freq. I sent you a pm and my suggestion is get the new relay. If it doesn't work your into a $250 black driver.
    [COLOR=#000000]

I will pick up a relay. Is there anything else I can/should check to see what else might be causing the problems? I might wire the old plasma back up just to see if I'm getting the same issues (as I know it was working before) to make sure its not a plasma/wiring issue.