Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
AMC 360 . . My first Build - Page 2
Bulltear Ad
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AMC 360 . . My first Build

Bulltear forum member Swabie
    Intake oil baffle issues...
    fabrication required...

Bad gas mileage gets you to some of the greatest places on earth.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    I know there are 2 styles of baffle. Guess I've been lucky and mine have fit. It shouldn't be too hard to trim that corner with a dremel or snips. The purpose of it is to keep oil from splashing into the PCV.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

I'm going to take it a step further and fab something up to give me some good protection...

intake baffle cleaned, mangled and riveted into place...
    Bulltear engine parts finally came in today... will hopefully get some work done on the motor this weekend..

I’m sure it’s been asked...
    is there a diagram anywhere that shoes what length timing cover/water pump bolts go where?

I’m starting from scratch with a new everything including stainless bolts... would be nice for some kind of road map..

Never seen any type of guide because every bolt varies depending on which accessories you have. Different years also have different brackets which affect bolt lengths. I don't know how any company can offer a single bolt kit, especially for the timing cover. Best advice I can give you is to have about 1/2" of exposed bolt between the washer and cover or bracket before you start to thread the bolt in. Be careful that the bolt doesn't bottom in the hole before it clamps tight. Look at the lock washers and make sure they're totally flat. If the bolt kit you bought is stainless steel, use never seize on EVERY bolt. It will save you headaches down the road. I bought a grade 8 kit like that for my AMX, and still ended up buying a few extras for the timing cover when I went to assemble it.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

and not have it.
    Henry Ford

correct me if I’m wrong, but per the 73 FSM the timing cover only has 4 bolts...
    the water pump I’m assuming has through bolts that go into the block as well? The FSM doesn’t show a good picture of the water pump mounting bolts…

You're right. There are 4 in the lower part of the cover and another 4 that go thru the water pump. At least the 2 lower on the oil filter side and all 4 on the water pump will vary depending on brackets. Water pump will even vary depending on if it was machined for or without A/C. Like I said. Test fit the bolts. Don't force them if they bottom in the bolt hole, grind them down or add an extra flat washer. I saw a guy ruin a block by forcing a timing cover bolt into the water jacket.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

and not have it.
    Henry Ford

pickup and pan question....

with a trasdapt slam guard pan and a milodon pickup tube do i have any clearance issues i should be mindful of?

everything seemed to dry fit together quite well...
    i didnt want to over tighten the tube in the block, nor do I want it loose?

Water pump question...
    are they just all cast to large? went to put the harmonic balancer on and i can barely get a feeler gauge between the top of the balancer and the bottom most part of the pump..
    Last edited by rejeep; 12-14-2013 at 03:02 PM.

Not sure on the pan, I've never used a Milodon pickup. Both of my cars have Canton pans on them. The only thing to be wary of is you want a minimum of 1/4" clearance between the pickup and the bottom of the pan. Any less, and it could reduce oil flow at high RPM. As long as the pickup is snug in the block, you're good. Too loose and it could suck air around the threads.

A lot of the water pump housings are cast overseas, and I have heard of some being a bit big. If you're uncomfortable with the clearance it wont hurt it any to take a little off with a grinder.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

and not have it.
    Henry Ford