Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
401 Balancer Install Problem
Bulltear Ad

Thread: 401 Balancer Install Problem

Bulltear forum member Cook

401 Balancer Install Problem

I am having problems aligning my 401 balancer keyway with the crankshaft key. I have a rebuilt OEM vodka nicer from damperdoctor. The key does not extend to the end of the crankshaft and due to the tight fit of the damper on the crank shaft it is very difficult to try and align the damper keyway to the crank key. I thought I had it aligned but I did not and dig into the side of the damper keyway ruining my hub. I am sending my damper out for repair.

Idealy, I would like for the balancer to fit loosely on the end of the crank so I can rotate the balancer relative to the crank to align the keyway and key. Is there some trick to this? I have read about people heating the damper to 200F before sliding it on the crank. Would heating allow me to push the damper by hand onto the crank far enough to align and engage the key in the keyway before requiring force to completely install the damper?

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    The first inch and a half should be a slip fit.
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

I assume by your reply that the firts 1.5'' of the crankshaft snout is tapered; which is supposed to provide a slip fit that would allow one to rotate the balancer to align with the crank key and to push the balancer by hand onto the beginning of the crankshaft key to insure alignment. My balancer definetly is not a slip fit for the first inch and half; I have to pull it on with a bolt and washer. Do you think I should have the balancer diameter increased slightly to allow a slip fit over the crank key? Or will heating the damper provided the slip fit clearance that I need?

One additional thought. I read elsewhere that AMC 401 OEM crankshaft snout diameter can range from 1.3618" to 1.3628" (with most being 1.3628"), and the OEM balancer bore can range from 1.3603" to 1.3613". Other AMC sites recommend honing the balancer bore using a ball-hone to achieve the desired slip fit. I plan to get my balancer rebuilt and then use a 1-3/8" ball-hone to allow a slip fit of the balancer to the crankshaft snout up to the start of the crankshaft key; unless anyone has a more efficient idea.