Bulltear Ad

Thread: Help with Timing Chain

Thank you from BT Grease Monkey

Help with Timing Chain

Hey guys, needing a little help. just got my engine back from maching shop. New cam and timing set was installed by shop. I had noticed that they lined up the timing marks on the cam sprocket at 6 o'clock and the crank sprocket at 12 o'clock. Seemed fairly normal too me until I was going through my Haynes manual and it says to line cam sprocket mark at 3 o'clock and the crank sprocket mark at 6 o'clock with atleast 20 chain pins between two marks. As far as I can tell its a Cloyes timing set and cant find any information on their website. I did not receive any instructions from machine shop. Does anyone have any idea which is correct. This is the second timing set installed with only 5 hours on engine. It sat so long since last rebuild I decided to go through it again. Within the 5 hours on this engine, it always seemed like the timing was off, low vacuum, high running temps, lack of power, hard starting. I coulnt get enough turn on the distributor to get it to run better. The last chain set was an edelbrock double roller with I installed, with timing marks lined up. Now thinking this might be some of my issues.

Thanks in advance,
    Mike
    "The Dalli Lama has granted me total conciosness upon my death bed, Sooo I got that going for me, Which is nice."
    -Carl Spackler

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    The way your shop did it is correct for an aftermarket set. The procedure in the TSM is for a factory timing set, where I think they use the key ways, instead of marks on the gears.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford