Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Serpentine system for AMC V8 with York

Thread: Serpentine system for AMC V8 with York

Bulltear forum member New to the forum

Serpentine system for AMC V8 with York

I have the serpentine kit for the York AC and have the driver's side (i.e. power steering, crank, water pump and idler (upward) pulleys) and AC pulley aligned quite well, however, the AC required 1" spacers for alignment. In another thread it was mentioned that 1/2" spacers were designed for this?? I have not figured out how the alternator bracket is to mount, although I did have it before I had to move the AC out 1". I understand there may be some post-engineering required, but do both the AC mounting bracket and alternator bracket share the upper 3/8" dia. through water pump/timing cover bolt on the passenger side? Currently both of my brackets prefer the same position....... In example pictures it appears both do NOT share this bolt. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated as I highly anticipate completing this installation and have pursued it for quite some time now. Also, am I correct in that the alternator ONLY mounts to the alternator bracket with this serpentine system and DOES NOT utilize a through pivot bolt to the cylinder head or block as in OEM application? The following pictures illustrate my problem. Any assistant you or anyone can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    The alternator only bolts to the bracket nothing to the head. The bracket is in the correct spot. Your York bracket was that off the original V8? It looks like the alternator bracket will hit the York bracket when its spaced correctly. There are hundreds of York systems out there with no issue. It is strange to see one like this that wont fit the way it was intended. You stole spacers from the kit to make up for the missing factory stud on the power steering side. IIRC their is one 1.5" long spacer you do not use for install.
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

Thank you for the quick response. How many spacers are planned for the York AC bracket? It appears two were intended....... My current AC bracket could use three of the same size......And I cannot say for sure this is the original York AC bracket. You have prompted me to heavy reflection. Most of this truck is original, but I completed an AC compressor swap on this '79 J20 when I was a freshman in high school, and may have traded out the bracket as well as the compressor. What are the chances a York AC bracket from an early 1970's Ford F100 would fit an AMC 360? I will have to find another AC bracket and compare. As for the "missing" stud for the power steering brackets, it is not missing. It has only 1-1/8" of threads on the outboard end and to mount the idler pulley upright this is not enough. The idler and PS bracket material thickness alone is 1-1/8", which does not allow any room for the nut, so I used a 5/8" spacer from the kit and long 3/8" bolt. Should I find the appropriate York AC bracket, may I purchase more of the 5/8" spacers?

There are 4 spacers for the York bracket. You can run the idler up or down and in your case flipping it up leaves the thinner area down so the factory stud threads aren't long enough.
    [COLOR=#000000]

So what was the solution to the York problem? I have the same York mount and the Alt bracket wants to share the same bolt as the York....as it goes through the water pump. Also, which length spacer goes behind the ilder on the DS?

DS is 1.20" There are several type of brackets for the York. One does leave an ear in the same spot as the water pump upper 3.8 bolt that the Alternator bracket uses. This part should be cut off the factory York mount.
    [COLOR=#000000]

Quote Originally Posted by jeepsr4ever View Post
    DS is 1.20" There are several type of brackets for the York. One does leave an ear in the same spot as the water pump upper 3.8 bolt that the Alternator bracket uses. This part should be cut off the factory York mount.
    Figured that out after I found another York bracket laying around that didn't use that ear. A couple of pics for future customers.

Name:  york_compare.jpg
Views: 2459
Size:  87.7 KBName:  york_cut.jpg
Views: 1991
Size:  85.8 KB

Great, thanks Brad!
    [COLOR=#000000]