Bulltear Ad

Thread: Camshaft Thrust

Bulltear forum member New to the forum

Camshaft Thrust

Hi My name is Jed I intend on building a 434ci stroker AMC for my 1974 Javelin AMX of which I have the full intent of putting in a solid roller in. I have read and heard many things about the topic of cam shaft thrust. I guess my first question would be when installing a roller cam do you need to also install a thrust plate? I am assuming if not done your cam and distributor/oil pump drive gears would destroy each. Eventual your timing would retard it's self from worn gear teeth and eventually quite running because of lack of ignition timing and also fill your engine full of metal shavings. I have also heard if thrust becomes to great a cam lobe can run into the lifter adjacent to it, now that is just what I heard I don't know if it's right. Does the helical cut of the cam and distributor/ oil pump gear have an influence on camshaft thrust? When using flat tappet cams does the taper of the cam lobes cause thrust?

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    A roller cam application is probably the only time an AMC engine needs an anti-walk kit for the cam. With normal lifters the grind on the face of the cam keeps it from walking.

Alfano Performance makes a kit. It requires some machining of the block, so do it before you start assembly.

http://www.alfanoperformance.com/parts.html

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford