Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
No Oil Pressure at Startup
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Oil Pressure at Startup

Hybrid View

Thank you from BT Senior Wrench of the forum

No Oil Pressure at Startup

Started my 77 J10 (401 w/less than 5,000 miles on complete rebuild) and had 0 oil pressure. When the engine was rebuilt I bought a complete timingcover,oil pump, midplate and matched can/distributor gears from Matt and as usual, everything worked great. I had excellent oil pressure until this morning. The gauge is good as well.

I shut it off immediately. Any suggestions guys? Could the plunger be stuck?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    Did you have a lot of lifter noise? If you're running the factory electric gauge, my first step would be a temporary mechanical gauge to see if the gauge has failed. What brand of filter are you running? I've heard of the anti-drainback valves in Fram filters failing and the oil pump losing prime.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

I did have lifter noise and the filter is one provided by my local quick lube. It seems smaller than the old ones. I havent had problems with these filters thus far. What is the number for the Napa Gold filter?

Napa Gold is 1258. Their gold line is made by Wix. The Wix number is 51258. Around Denver, the Wix filters usually cost a little less than the NAPA Gold.

If it's a prime issue, I squirt a little oil into the pump thru the filter hole with an oil can before putting the filter on.

Let us know how it goes.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Found The Problem!

Found the problem!

The "HRC" Bulltear oil pump gear was spinning on the shaft! It wasnt apparant at first because the gear/shaft looked good.

Never had a problem with bulltear oil pump gears/timing covers before. I emailed Matt but have received no reponse thus far. I have the bulltear gear set and will be sending it back as soon as I get a response from Matt.

I was suprised to find out that the gear is only pressed on the shaft. One would think it would be pinned, welded or secured in some manner. It came very close to costing me a new 401. As it was it cost me some $$'s to get this diagnosed and taken care of.

Hoping to hear from Matt in the very near future. I have always had great results with Bulltear products.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    Havent seen an email and have never heard of a pump shaft spinning in a gear ...ever on an AMC V8. Those pump gears, no matter the name all come form the same source. They could be labeled as Sealed Power or Melling or any other name they come from one source.

We will definitely warrantee that and chrome it
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

Thanks Matt. I will give you a call tomorrow.

Anybody know whats up with MC? I still haven't received the replacement gear set he said he would send over a month and a half ago. Sent three PM's with no response. Is he OK?

His shop gets hectic at times, and his spam filter seems to block a lot of email. Best bet is to pick up the phone and call the number at the top of the screen.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

and not have it.
    Henry Ford

I sent him 3 private messages.