Bulltear Ad

Thread: Building 304 need some help on install

Bulltear forum member New to the forum

Building 304 need some help on install

My manual doesn't tell me where the thrust bearing goes. I found online its journal #3 is this correct? also My machine shop removed the rear cam plug. I cant find any specs on wither or not there is a certain clearance this needs? this is my first AMC build so doing it slowly and checking it all over. Thanks for any tips or tricks you all might have to share with me.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    The thrust bearing is #3 on AMC V-8 engines. Install the rear cam plug with a little sealant (I use Permatex aviation sealant), just flush with the block, you don't want it too deep or it may rub/interfere with the rear of the cam. A dab of sealant where the ends of the rear main seal touch will help avoid rear main leaks. There are 6 threaded plugs in the oil passages, 2 at the rear of the block (right next to the cam plug), 2 under the timing cover behind the cam gear, and 2 under the intake in the front. If your machinist took out the cam plug, he may also have removed the oil passage plugs. Without them, you won't develop oil pressure.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Bob,

Thanks for all the advice that is solid work! Took me a bit to realize this isn't a SBC and it goes on the #3. Thanks for the save and info. Got any more tips guys?

Lots of assembly lube on the cam/lifters, pushrod ends, and rocker pivots. Prime the oil pump and spin it up to pressure before you set the distributor in. First start, run it up to 2000 RPM and bounce between 2000-2500 for 20 minutes to break in the cam lifters (if new). Good luck.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Thanks Bob. I have the long block all done minus the timing cover and oil pump. I am refurbing them right now. Thanks again for the tips.

The 304 is an often overlooked engine. I used to mud bog Jeeps. I had a 304 in a CJ that was .030" over, 10.5:1 compression, crank was stock, rods were shot-peened. Heads were done with 1.94 intake and 1.50 exhaust valves. All balanced, with a torker intake, 600 Holley and headers. It would rev to 6500 all day, lots of guys thought I was running a small block Chevy conversion. Had a lot of fun and won a few competitions. Finally broke it doing hill climbs, a little too much timing and bad gas I shattered a piston and scored the cylinder. Built a 360 (given to me for free) and never went back to the 304.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

and not have it.
    Henry Ford