Bulltear Ad
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: roller tip to valve stem contact

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    I looked at that part number on Summit's site. I don't know how Ford/Chevy/AMC could be covered by one rocker. Chevy rockers are known for being too short from pivot to tip for AMC use. Ford applications are much closer, but sometimes the slot is too short and the rocker hits the stud when the valve opens. I'm running Crane Gold rockers (35750, I think) on both of my 390s, using 70 heads (291C) and .100" longer than stock pushrods. Harland-Sharp are very good, I believe MC sells the Scorpion rockers right here at the Bulltear store.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Helpfull BT forum member Swabie
    Bob,
    Thanks for all your replies, they have been very helpful!

Talked with both Harland Sharp & Scorpion this morning. They both indicated their rocker arm sets are the same body as Ford. However, Harland Sharp said they do an additional chamfer machining operation the relieve the bottom of the rocker arm in the slot area for the stud due to AMC rockers typically sitting lower on the stud. Scorpion rep could not or did not indicate either way, even when quizzed if the do anything different for AMC applications. Both reps indicated chevy is too short for AMC.

I was very impressed with Harland Sharp guy....he knew his shit...I mentioned the S4004 part # and he rattled off application & how much spring (pressure & diameter) I could run for that application (way too quick for pulling it up on the computer), was very familiar with the manufacturing process and application differences, all made in the USA including sourced materials,etc., etc.

Thanks again...I'll keep you posted. Been fooling around with Jeeps & AMC v8's for most of my life and still learning!
    401 CJ-8
    472 Caddy Powered J Truck
    85 SJ
    46 CJ-2A
    64 Flattie Wagon w/4.0L Fuelie

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    I lived in the mid-west in the late 70s/early 80s. Mud bogging was big. I built class compliant AMC engines for mud boggers, along with other makes. I've always been impressed with AMC engines. I had a 304 in my Jeep, bored .030", flat top pistons, and 1.94/1.50 valves, rods shot peened and crank nitrided, I revved it to 6500 all the time. Lots of guys were convinced I was running a SBC before I would open the hood and show them an AMC engine.

Hope you get the rockers worked out.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Helpfull BT forum member Swabie
    (((((Quote Originally Posted by AMX69PHATTY View Post
    I have a '69 343 block fitted with a 3.44 stroke 304/360 crank.

Now I have bought the Harland Sharp 1.6 AMC Rockers.
    To make the geometry come out correctly with them
    I've had to go back to "standard" Studs, 1-3/4 long
    and 7.700 long Pushrods, shorter than '69 stock at 7.748.
    Could maybe go even shorter, but two problems arise,
    The Rocker gets to close to the Stud Hex
    and run out of threads on the 1-3/4 Studs with the Poly Locks.
    Both sets of rockers are 1.6 ratio.

So there is definitely a difference in Rocker Geometry
    when using SBC dimension rockers versus AMC (Ford) dimension rockers.

Probably no surprise to most folks here but I am,
    and I have it all to owe to BullTear and this Forum.

Allow me to say THANKS to all the helpful folks here.
    END QUOTE)))))

I found this thread elsewhere on here and wanted to include this info in my thread. Thank you for this post!

As I am too in the process of ditching Crane energizer "AMC, Ford, Chevy" rockers and installing Harland Sharp 1.6 rockers on my 401....just finished checking pushrod length....I also came up with 7.700 and also found that I would like to go slightly shorter, but have the same issue with rocker arm to stud clearance. I am running ARP studs which have the shortest hex. I suppose we could have machined the pedestals down more to improve this....I believe we took off something in the 0.280 range, will have to double check.

At any rate your set-up gives me some confidence in my measurement!

My valve stem pattern is damn close to being perfectly centered to being slightly outboard...
    401 CJ-8
    472 Caddy Powered J Truck
    85 SJ
    46 CJ-2A
    64 Flattie Wagon w/4.0L Fuelie