Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
new pump = low oil pressure

Thread: new pump = low oil pressure

Bulltear forum member New to the forum

new pump = low oil pressure

The motor had 40psi at idle when i got it, decided to put on the bulltear pump as a prevention and now I get 20psi cold near 0 hot at idle... very not happy

10-40 oil. Fram 3985 filter

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    First, change the filter. I use Wix or Napa Gold. Cheap filters are known for the bypass valves failing, resulting in low oil pressure. 2nd, did you measure the new gears when you put them in? The TSM says the gears should extend beyond the housing .0025" - .0065". clearance to the pump walls should be .002-.004". These are critical, if the cover is worn oil pressure will drop. I've seen parts that met clearances when covered in varnish that were out of spec once cleaned. I've also seen gaskets that are too thick between the pump and pump cover. While you had the pump apart, did you mess with the pressure relief valve or bypass valve in the pump cover? Did you change the relief valve spring? They could be stuck or installed wrong (particularly the relief plunger in backwards, it's easy to do). Since most modern filters have a built in bypass, I suggest using one of Bulltear's bypass block off plates. Mopar eliminated the bypass from the casting in the late 80s. Just changing the gears shouldn't have much effect, so something else must have changed too.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Pump cover and all internals are new from bulltear and installed by an ase certified mechanic with 36yrs of experience... and he is scratching his head.

when i primed it, we had 40psi via the drill

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    I would still check the relief and bypass valves. No harm in double checking something you can't see. It's cheap to change filters (I won't use Fram, ever).
    You didn't say if the timing cover was replaced. That's where most of the wear occurs, if clearances weren't checked, pull it apart and re-check using the specs above.
    If you still have them, go back to the old gears/pump cover and see if the problem changes.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Timing cover is new from bulltear... Ive now tried with and without the bulltear midplate, original and bulltear filter adapter. Next is to try the old pump gears. Im really getting sick of this. Between the month and a half it took to get the stuff from bulltear, the lack of any communication from them and now the pump not working, Im deciding their name is bullshit not bulltear.

Just checked and the timing cover is way out of spec! Bulltear doesnt seam to care about quality or customer service... Im out 450 in parts and 2 months of my summer... Ill be filing paypal and bbb complaints. How hard is it to answer a phone or return a call.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    You just checked which part? What is out of spec? If you got our voicemail did you leave a message? We have the absolute best oil pump in the world and the highest quality and track record of quality. You should call in and talk to someone on how your new pump is out of spec because it may not be the pump at all. If the oil filter adaptor is hanging up the plunger because the bore is new and it was assembled dirty you will get poor oil pressure. It may only have taken a quick removal of the pressure valve and a re-install. Or it could be that Fram filter which is WELL known to cause major havoc in AMC engines. NEVER EVER RUN A FRAM FOR AMC
    Last edited by jeepsr4ever; 08-22-2015 at 06:38 PM.
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689