Thread: Best V8 engine, trans, and rear for a 65 American????

Bulltear forum member New to the forum

Best V8 engine, trans, and rear for a 65 American????

Wanting to swap out a 6 cyl for a v8 set up in my 65 American Coupe? What would be a reasonable swap to V8? What size engine would be beasiet to find, yet be worth the time, with trans, and what rear swap works good. Someone mentioned for exploer or something before. I own many cars, so I am not wanting to put a ton of money into this swap. Just something that would be kinda sweet. I thought about maybe camming the v*, just to give it a little something. Any idea's that won't break the bank. Do I use the swap brackets sold by Bulltear???? Thanks, Guys!

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    If you want to hold it's value, stick with an AMC motor. A 360 from a Wagoneer shouldn't be too hard to find. They were made all the way to 1991. For an AMC engine you can use the Bulltear brackets. A 80-up Wagoneer would also have a TF727 trans, which would work by swapping the 4x4 tail housing with a Mopar car housing. Your AMC15 rear is very narrow (56" WMS-WMS). I've heard a 8.8 from an early Ford ranger will fit, as well as an 8" from early Falcons and such. An early Mopar 8 3/4 might work too. You can find an AMC 20 from a 67-69 American, which would be plenty strong. I've got a 2000 Explorer disc brake rear in my 67, but it had to be narrowed 3" to fit and center the diff.

Small block Chevy or Ford will fit, but you're on your own to fab up mounts. A lot of AMC purists won't want a vehicle with a non-AMC engine swap, so resale crowd is smaller.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford