Bulltear Ad

Thread: advice needed on slightly dinged piston, not yet installed

Bulltear forum member Cook

advice needed on new slightly damaged piston

After gathering parts for several years for my 401 build, I finally have gotten started on putting it all together. Long story short, my shop who did the machine work installed one of the cam bearings slightly crooked (tried the new engle cam and the original, neither of which would slide all the way in). This resulted in me having to take back out the Pistons and crankshaft from the block and take it back to the machine shop to have them install another set of bulltear cam shaft bearings. In the process of the tear down, I somehow managed to knock one of my Pistons off of my work bench onto the concrete of my shop floor. There is some slight damage to the top edge of the piston. My question is, at this point, what are my options? Polish/buff down the burrs on the piston and run it? Replace the Piston with another bulltear unit? Will the small pits cause any issues? Etc?

This is only engine build number six for me so I'm hoping to get some advice from anyone with a little more knowledge/experience than me on what to do at this point. Still pissed at myself for knocking it off the work bench; not even sure how I managed to do it. The pictures of the damage should be attached. Thanks for the help!
    Attached Images Attached Images         
    Last edited by JeepScrambler; 11-12-2015 at 10:04 PM.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    I'd polish it so there are no sharp corners and run it. Sharp corners will cause hot spots and detonation. Smooth them out and not problem. Your balance might be off a bit if you had them balanced, but I doubt there's be a problem there either.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Bulltear forum member Cook
    I appreciate the response; that's what I was hoping to hear! It was balanced but I don't think the minimal material needed to polish it and make it smooth will affect it much, if any at all. Will clean it up and run it!