Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
HELP ????

Thread: HELP ????

Bulltear forum member New to the forum

HELP ????

First, I am a Engine builder with over 25 years of experience , but am always willing to learn something , humble enough to realize that I don't know everything ( www.kevinsmachine.com )

I have got a 304 that is whuppin my A$$ , rebuilt this 304 out of a 78' Jeep CJ last December for a friend of mine , we mainly do custom and performance ,so we meticulously do cleaning and machining , stock replacement's I usually order from ATK, LKQ , none were avail. at the time , so we did it ,

ran great for 6months , cust. called me with oil press issues , told him to pull it , tore it down ,sure enough ,bearing issues ,bad enough journals on crank were compromised , scratched my head to figure out why it happened

Even got on this site and did a lot of research about all the oiling issues these engines have ,especially after a rebuild
    upon inspection noticed that the bypass valve for the pump was sticking , even after we had removed and deburred and honed the bore from the first rebuild , figured the aluminum housing got distorted while going thru heat cycles ,I just happen to have another 304 in the shop at the same time out of a 70 Javelin , didn't want to take any chances ,so i used the housing off it ( was in better shape) went thru all the setting end play on pump gears and addressed all other issues talked about on this site , reassembled put oil and filter (WIX) on , then primed it ,so the customer wouldn't have too

Now it's done it again , and the oil pressure is still around 50psi with no reporting from the customer ever loosing oil pressure ( mechanical autometer guage )

Any thoghts or advise ??????

Ok , inspected everything , bypass valve sticking again

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    Bypass valve sticking. Was it any other color spring besides red? Was the spring broken? Bore should be .563-.565. If the bore is completely worn out that could be an issue as debris in the oil could be. I would make sure there is no fram on there first. Then I would drain the pan and take a look and from there take the oil filter adaptor off and bench test the valve using a rubber tipped compressed air nozzle on the filter side and use my finger on the other side. If it is physically holding it up then youll know why.
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

Well , I own a NAPA store so I know what filter was on it , red spring , bore looks clean from where we cleaned it last time , Ill set my dial bore gauge up in the morning and check the size , definitely not sliding as smooth as it did when i assembled it last time , do you have the nickel plated housing in ?

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    No we no longer do Ni on oil filter housings.
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689