Bulltear Ad

Thread: 304 valve question.

Bulltear forum member New to the forum

304 valve question.

I'm rebuilding a 304 in my 73 jeep. I found a set of heads prolly 70 to 72 the ones with non adjustable studs. I used SBC studs so I can adjust them.

Ok so the question is I have one bent exhaust valve and have ordered 3 to date all the wrong ones?

The exhaust valves in my motor are the 1.406 head, 4.892 long. The valve is a single groove. Here's the kicker the top edge of the groove to the top of the valve is 0.200

All the valves I have ordered are 0.250 plus

This will not give me the 1.82 installed height I need to match all the others..

It's not just the distance from groove to top or I'd just grind it, it's where the groove is on the stem that's messing me up.

I can use a 4 groove and the height is close enough to shim the spring 0.10 but I preffer not to do that.

Anyone shed any light on this issues. Did the 70 to 72 heads use weird valves compared to all others?

Or do I just have someone's weird combo they put together..

Thank you very much to anyone that can shed some light on this. Denco

Bulltear forum member New to the forum
    Hello maybe I'm asking the wrong questions.

Can someone tell me where to buy an exhaust valve 1.406 head 3/8-0.372 diameter with a single groove .0200 from groove to valve tip...

All I have found is this valve with a .250 groove to tip which will not give me the same installed spring height as the rest.

I have read that .199/.200 is the correct one, although I can't seem to buy one. I've ordered 3 so far all wrong.

I'll take a good used valve if someone has one. Thank you to anyone who can help resolve my dilemma..

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    Can't help you on stock valves. The couple of 304s I built over the years, I've gone to 1.94" and 1.50" SBC valves with great results. Of course, that would require a complete valve job and guides.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford