Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
loading heavy sheets of steel
Bulltear Ad

Thread: loading heavy sheets of steel

Helpfull BT forum member Admiral of the Forum

loading heavy sheets of steel

I work by my self and I'm not as strong as I use to be. Any suggestions on loading heavy sheets of steel on and off your plasma table. Has any one built a lifting jig that would mount on the table leg or an electromagnet to lift those heavy flat pieces?
    Thanks, Gary

Helpfull BT forum member Swabie
    I use my tractor for heavy stuff, looking to get a fork lift soon. You may look at a manual pallet stacker at northern tool. They can raise to 63" and hold 2200 lb. They are about $1k though, there are cheaper ones but the forks arnt very long. But if you want a project probably could make one cheaper especially by cutting out everything on your table.

Bulltear forum member Cook
    I'm in the same boat. I use a vertical lifting clamp, and my 2-ton engine hoist. I store the 4x8 sheets vertically on a rack, very similar to this:

Name:  IMAG1345.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  88.7 KB

I lift the sheet up, roll the rack out from under it, and roll the engine hoist over to my table. With the engine hoist chain shortened a few lengths, the plate will swing up over my table. When letting the sheet down, I have to push the bottom of the sheet away from the lift. I don't have 4' between the boom and the cylinder, so the sheet will bind it up if I pull the bottom into the hoist.

I am also making up an assembly like this, for horizontal lifting. I think it will be quite handy.

Name:  20150831_165547.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  64.3 KB

http://plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.ph...t=Engine+hoist

Bulltear forum member New to the forum
    I use a rolling gantry crane.

Helpfull BT forum member Admiral of the Forum
    Thanks for the explanation and the pics. excellent storage rack for the sheet steel and the chain set up for the cherry picker.
    Thanks for you sharing your ideas, Gary

We store our sheets on a pallet rack and use a forklift to move it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BEjZBCJh...n-by=dirtbound

I was asking myself the same question a couple years ago when I was using a forklift to change sheets. So I built a vertical storage rack, then a small bridge crane over the top of my table and the rack.
    Then added a wireless remote to it. Now I can remove a sheet put it in the rack, pick another from the rack and set on the table by myself in about 2-3 minutes.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  26.3 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  26.5 KB

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  27.1 KB
    4 x 100kg magnets. Got plate lifters to get out of rack then lay on ground and use magnets.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    That is the best use of those little magnets I have seen yet. We use two 800kg magnets on a spreader bar when we lift and load steel with one of our forklifts. One alone is untrustworthy.
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689