Bulltear Ad
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fitech mean street efi on my 401

Bulltear forum member Cook

fitech mean street efi on my 401

so I took the plunge and ill be posting the install as I go along,its not a wild motor as its just in my 87 yj but it is bored 30 over with a mild cam has patriot headers like the old eddy shortys and a performer manifold the kit I have says from 250hp to 800hp I have never had it on a dyno but im guessing it dose about 350hp mabe a bit more so this efi will handle later hp build up.

the stock fuel pump that came in my yj was an in tank pump that was rated at 45psi and im going to swap it with a in tank pump from a 91 HO 4L which was rated at 60psi but from what I hear really puts out aroung 80psi..so I will test that when I pick it up tomorow.

feel free to chime in if you have done this or have a question im pritty excited to get rid of my eddy carb and see how this works on my jeep.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    I ran a Howell setup on my 77 CJ7. I'm putting a Howell dual throttle body setup on my 67 Rambler 390. I've heard good and bad about FItech through the grapevine. Your experience will be interesting to hear.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

yep I have heard the same but the good out weighs the bad and the tech problems I have seen fitech was right there to help or refund the system seems very easy in fact you can get it running with just 4 wires,ill tell you right out of the box everything looks very well built even the little plug in control is metal not plastic..none of it feels cheap.

Name:  0404161825_HDR.jpg
Views: 1312
Size:  101.7 KB

this is what came in the box..have to run to the speed shop in the morning to pick up some AN fittings

ok so finished the install took about 3hrs not counting the time I went back to the parts store for fuel line and a few fittings.I still need to hide some wires its kind of a mess under the hood right now but it started right up and WOW im just amazed at how snappy the throttle is and my motor has never ran so smooth.

I am really happy with how this came out and how easy it was,I did have a few questions for there tech and so I sent an email wouldnt you know the responded in just a few hrs this has been a great investment good by carb.Name:  0406161424_HDR.jpg
Views: 1313
Size:  101.2 KBName:  0406161424a_HDR.jpg
Views: 1389
Size:  101.9 KBName:  0406161425_HDR.jpg
Views: 1306
Size:  100.4 KB

It does look easier than the Howell system. You have to mount the computer inside and run a pretty big harness.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

and not have it.
    Henry Ford

ya this was really easy and fitech has a life time guarantee on the ecu other parts like o2 and injectors are gm so easy to replace if they go out its really cool to have it all built up in one unit..now I just need to clean up the wires,for the first drive it was so snappy with the throttle good response and no hesitation,it dose take a sec for your rpms to come back down but its learning and im sure with more miles it will only get better.

im no tuning guru but you can do alot with this thing full data logging and there is a pro tuning option were you can tune to your hearts desire it has lots of potential and fitech has great support,I had a question and they were right there to answer it,very happy customer.

Bulltear forum member New to the forum
    I am looking at this for my 304 mildly built on a CJ. I am running a Holley Truck Avenger right now and the mileage sucks and a bitch to tune. Not that we really attention to mileage with toys but it would be nice to get better than 7-8 mpg, did you notice if you economy improved.

You can never expect good mileage from a CJ. The nearly bone stock 360 in my CJ7 got 10 MPG with the Howell EFI on a good day, usually less. Remember that you have a vehicle with the aerodynamics of a sheet of plywood. I did gain about 1 MPG when I went to EFI, but the Holley I removed was tuned pretty well. The big improvements were that it started easier at any temperature, idled smoother, not fuel slosh or stalling off road, and I proved that it could even run upside down (don't ask ). I think it's a great conversion, just don't buy it expecting 50% better mileage.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

and not have it.
    Henry Ford