I realize that this answer is probably in the forum 239 times already, but I cant' find it.

1989 Grand Wagoneer, 50,000 miles, I recently bought it, it hadn't been driven in a couple of years.

I recently put an OMIX ADA cam and lifters, replaced the timing cover (Crown?), oil pump, and the timing chain and gears (OMIX). I used "Sta-Lube" on the parts when I assembled, and used a quart of break in oil and Rotella 10-30. I used a new cam gear, and put the old distributor in (with old gear), since I was only going to run it enough to break the cam in, then I was going to install a new HEI distributor. I packed the new oil pump with Vaseline, and turned the oil pump with a drill enough so that I saw oil coming up to the rocker arms. I did the recommended break-in... high-ish but fluctuating RPM's. It ran great.... sounded good, and about 10 minutes in, quit. I could turn the the rotor with my hand. I pulled the distributor, and the distributor gear was chewed. At first I thought it was because I mis-matched, but then I realized that there isn't really any oil inside of the timing cover?(just looking through the distributor hole) NO oil dripped off of the distributor when I pulled it out.

Your thoughts? Shouldn't it be very oily in the timing area? Why wouldn't it be?

Thanks!
Steven