Bulltear Ad

Thread: Freshening up my 401

Thank you from BT Junior wrench of the Forum

Freshening up my 401

My 401 started knocking, sounded like a high knock cylinder knock, and I found metal in the oil. Number 8 piston was scuffed and cylinder is a little scored. I am already .040 over and I don't think the cylinder can be honed without being to big. So as I'm looking at my options and replacing parts, I thought I would share a few parts that I'm finding. Johnson lifters are made in USA and can be purchased directly from them for $4.70 each at http://www.hylift-johnson.com

Wiseco sells off the shelf forged pistons (street pro tru forged) at .030 and .045 over for $410.00 from summit. That includes pistons and rings. They also make them for the 360. http://www.wiseco.com/Catalogs/ProTr...eteCatalog.pdf

My engine: 401 with sealed power 10.5 forged pistons, 291c heads with polished runners, harland sharp roller rockers, Reed hydraulic flat tappet cam 228/232 dur @ .050 512/518 lift 110 lobe separation installed 4 deg advanced, MSD pro billet distributor, rollmaster timing chain, edelbrock air gap intake, Milidon oil pan with dual oil feed lines, arp main studs head studs and rod bolts. Installed in my 1979 fiberglass CJ5. Pics to come...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Bulltear forum member Cook
    Not sure if this helps or if you are debating such, but I have been running around with a 0.060" over 401 (413 cid) for many years. I think it is 12 years now actually. I concentrated on keeping it cool to limit cylinder distortion from excess heat and the thinner walls.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by 413 Wrangler; 07-06-2016 at 09:09 PM.
    88 GW, mostly stock, customefis tbi