Bulltear Ad

Thread: AMC 360 Build - First Time Building a V8

Threaded View

Bulltear forum member New to the forum

AMC 360 Build - First Time Building a V8

1st post here and wanted to thank everyone for all the information on this site. I've been doing quite a bit of reading and could use some advice or at least get opinions on where my mind is at as far the rebuild. A little background:
    I'm picking up an AMC 360 out of a 1977 J10 in the morning. This is going to be a build and project that I have wanted to share with my 7 year old daughter. We're both really stoked. Once engine is built we will purchase a CJ7 for it to live out it's life in. So really thinking a mild build with more torque than going for a high performance engine. So I'm thinking on the build:

Rebuild the stock heads (3 angle grind)
    Stock Pistons (8.25:1, I think)
    Edelbrock Performer Intake
    Engle K 52-54 Cam
    600 CFM 4 Barrel
    AMC HEI Distributer (with new matching gears)
    Stock Exhaust Manifolds to 3" pipe
    Small hole bearings? (not sure if needed?)

I will also when time comes be doing the bull tear oil upgrade kit.

Called the machinist and he said doesn't balance most engines, but said he could send it out to be done if needed. He didn't think it would be required with what I was wanting (need your opinion here). He also said he would want to reuse things like push rods and whatnot. But new pistons for sure. Don't know what to think about this, but he said he would machine, build it back to stock and assemble but would add a cam if I wanted for $1950 plus cost of cam. He wanted me to remove the flywheel and harmonic balance before bringing it in. Not sure what to take off and what to bring in to balance the motor if that's what you think is needed.

Thank you in advance for any and all help. I'm going to be at step one just trying to get this thing on my new Harbor Freight engine stand lol. I'll attach a pic of the engine I'm getting tomorrow. Oh and it comes with the Dana 20!

Jonathan
    Attached Images Attached Images