Bulltear Ad

Thread: AMC 360 Build - First Time Building a V8

Bulltear forum member New to the forum

AMC 360 Build - First Time Building a V8

1st post here and wanted to thank everyone for all the information on this site. I've been doing quite a bit of reading and could use some advice or at least get opinions on where my mind is at as far the rebuild. A little background:
    I'm picking up an AMC 360 out of a 1977 J10 in the morning. This is going to be a build and project that I have wanted to share with my 7 year old daughter. We're both really stoked. Once engine is built we will purchase a CJ7 for it to live out it's life in. So really thinking a mild build with more torque than going for a high performance engine. So I'm thinking on the build:

Rebuild the stock heads (3 angle grind)
    Stock Pistons (8.25:1, I think)
    Edelbrock Performer Intake
    Engle K 52-54 Cam
    600 CFM 4 Barrel
    AMC HEI Distributer (with new matching gears)
    Stock Exhaust Manifolds to 3" pipe
    Small hole bearings? (not sure if needed?)

I will also when time comes be doing the bull tear oil upgrade kit.

Called the machinist and he said doesn't balance most engines, but said he could send it out to be done if needed. He didn't think it would be required with what I was wanting (need your opinion here). He also said he would want to reuse things like push rods and whatnot. But new pistons for sure. Don't know what to think about this, but he said he would machine, build it back to stock and assemble but would add a cam if I wanted for $1950 plus cost of cam. He wanted me to remove the flywheel and harmonic balance before bringing it in. Not sure what to take off and what to bring in to balance the motor if that's what you think is needed.

Thank you in advance for any and all help. I'm going to be at step one just trying to get this thing on my new Harbor Freight engine stand lol. I'll attach a pic of the engine I'm getting tomorrow. Oh and it comes with the Dana 20!

Jonathan
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ruddyhair View Post
    Called the machinist and he said doesn't balance most engines, but said he could send it out to be done if needed. He didn't think it would be required with what I was wanting (need your opinion here). He also said he would want to reuse things like push rods and whatnot. But new pistons for sure. Don't know what to think about this, but he said he would machine, build it back to stock and assemble but would add a cam if I wanted for $1950 plus cost of cam. He wanted me to remove the flywheel and harmonic balance before bringing it in. Not sure what to take off and what to bring in to balance the motor if that's what you think is needed.

Jonathan
    Don't use this machinist. I have every engine I build balanced. A so-so balance is OK for a factory built/remanufactured engine, but anything built for performance and longevity should be balanced more precisely. My machinist balances down to .5 gram (31.1 grams in an ounce). I'm not sure where you live, but there must be an AMC club in your area. Someone there would be able to suggest a shop.

I had a 360 in my 77 CJ7. Bottom end was bone stock. I rebuilt it with the crank cut .010/.010 and had it balanced. New rings on stock pistons, stock bore (cylinder taper was within spec when I got the engine). I ran an Edelbrock Performer manifold and Performer cam. Heads were early 090 castings with individual rockers. I had them mildly polished and ported. I ran Crane roller rockers with .100" longer than stock pushrods. Mallory Unilite ignition and Howell throttle body fuel injection. Behind it was a T-18/Dana 300 combo with 4.27 gears in custom Dana 44 axles. Gave me about a 72:1 crawl ratio in low/low. It would sit and spin all 4 tires at idle if it couldn't find traction. Great rock crawler.

Your build sounds good. I also ran stock manifolds and a full 3" single exhaust w/high flow cat (emissions here). Patriot does make shorty headers if you want to spend the money. Keep your carb to vacuum secondaries, 600 CFM is plenty. The small hole cam bearings can't hurt, I used them for the first time in my last 390 build (I haven't started it yet but seem to have good oil flow/pressure with the priming pump).

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Thanks tufcj. Have read a lot of your posts and appreciate your take. Will for sure find a machine shop that works on these engines specifically. In fact have a few leads from another forum I'm going to check out.

Currently I'm tearing down the engine but had a question. Previous owner sold the transmission prior to me purchasing the engine. I'm not familiar enough to tell what tranny was mounted. Can anyone ID the tranny in the picture? Thx!

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    It's a 3 speed. If it was a 77, it should be a T-150. Kind of marginal trans behind a 360. I took out 2nd gear in 2 of them before I upgraded to a T-18 in my CJ.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford