Bulltear Ad

Thread: 78 AMC 401 heads

Bulltear forum member Cook

78 AMC 401 heads

Finally getting everything ready to start building my 78 401 out of my Wagoneer, Debating on whether I should buy Edelbrock RPM heads or if I should spend the money and try to have my machine shop port my old heads and rebuild them. What do you guys think would be better? Trying to rework and port the factory heads or just buy a set of new heads?
    Last edited by Kwish; 04-21-2017 at 07:27 AM.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    Big weight savings on the aluminum heads. It will really depend on what you do as far as the bottom end of the motor. Cam and compression will make a big difference. Aluminum heads will generally support about 1 point higher compression without pinging (10:1 vs 9:1) because they dissipate heat better. You can get nearly the same flow from a worked set of cast heads. For a near stock build, I'd stick with iron. For a more performance oriented build, and if your budget supports it, go aluminum. Overall performance will depend on gearing, tire size, and weight. Factor all of that in when building the motor.

Bob
    tufcj
    Last edited by tufcj; 04-21-2017 at 07:22 PM.
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

My budget will allow it, and I've got an Edelbrock performer intake and cam to go with the heads. Also I plan on just keeping the bore stock if I can and just putting new pistons in with the same rods and a balanced crank. We will see how this motor turns out for this Wagoneer, I want it to be a decent trail rig but I dont want to trailer it to the trails I'd like to drive it so for now I've got 31" tires and will be gearing my axles to 3.55s

For a trail rig, low RPM torque, little high RPM use, I'd probably stick with the stock iron heads and have a quality 3 or 5 angle valve job and some mild port work done. The aluminum Edelbrock heads really only outflow the stock heads at really high valve lifts, which is something you won't want on a torque oriented engine.

I had a 360 in my CJ. Bone stock bottom end, Edelbrock Performer intake and cam. I had 72-73 heads (individual rockers) that were ported, polished, and gasket matched with a 3 angle valve job. Howell TBI fuel injection. Ran thru stock exhaust manifolds and a single 3" exhaust. T-18/Dana 300, 4.27 gears and Detroit lockers in both axles, and 37" tires. It would sit at idle and spin all 4 tires if it couldn't find traction. Had stump pulling torque. It would fall flat over about 5000 RPM, but it seldom ran over 4000. I had a 401 to swap in, but never did it because that 360 did everything I ever wanted the Jeep to do. Dependability is key when your a long way from the nearest highway, and it NEVER let me down.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Awesome thanks for the input, I'll probably just stick with the stock iron heads than! I'll just have the machine shop go through them.

360 and 401 heads are the same. If you have the iron heads done, they're always worth something if you want to upgrade to aluminum later.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

and not have it.
    Henry Ford