looking for some info or suggestions about 360s

I recently bought a 86 J20 for the engine and tranny to put into my 84 CJ7. Will probably go with a Edelbrock Performer intake, 600+ cfm carb, Hei distributor and not sure about cam and maybe pistons. I have been reading and reading posts for days and learning, but also getting confused. For a cam I was leaning towards a Summit 8600, but found a graph showing that the stock cam performing better. I sent an email to Isky cams for suggestions. I am running 4.88 gears with locker and posi and is not a daily driver. There are tons of trails here in AZ from easy to you will probably break something, I been out with guys that carry extra axles and on board welders. I would like to be able to do moderate trails, but also run higher rpms at the dunes, sand drags and maybe 1/8 mile Friday night drags. When I pull the engine and tear it down, if everything looks ok is it possible to install higher compression pistons without a lot of machine work? Like 343 pistons? I really like the 383 stroker idea, but do not have the funds for that right now, maybe in the future.

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions

Mike