Sorry in advance for the amount of ignorance that is about to be unleashed...

I'm a long time Jeep guy, but I have never had an excuse to rebuild a motor. Until now. I recently picked up a '75 CJ5 that's in good shape except that it has no motor. It came with a 360 short block and I already had a spare set of heads. I already have everything at the machinist's shop. He's cleaned it up and confirmed the needs: .030 pistons, 0.010 crank, new valves and guides. Good news is the timing cover appears to be in good shape.

Here's my goal: a reasonable street rod-style motor at a reasonable price. I have a torquey 360 in '72 Jeep Commando that is my offroad toy. I would like this one to be a fun street Jeep. I'm going to aim at 350 hp and if I end up over about 315hp I'll be happy. I'm looking for performance from 1500rpm - 5500. Again, I'm only looking to spend money on things that make sense.

I'm looking for help in deciding what parts I need. There are two overall questions here: 1) what should my overall build include to reach my goal and what can I skip (head work? oiling mods? compression ratio? distributor? etc) 2) What SPECIFIC parts or brands do I need to use?

I'll use the second post on this thread as an iterative parts list, so check there for my questions on specific parts or to see what items I have decided on. After that post will hopefully be y'all's wise responses to my simple-minded questions.

Thanks in advance for any help!