Thread: Crankshaft

Bulltear forum member New to the forum

Crankshaft

I have a 71 javelin 360 auto. Would like to install a torque flight trans but have been told that it is not compatible with my crankshaft, if so then what year crankshaft do I need and are manual and auto trans interchangeable. I may have access to a 73 crank out of a manual.
    Thanks

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    AMC changed from the Borg-Warner to Torqueflite in 1972. On the early crank (pre 72) the rear flange is perfectly flat, the later crank has a raised lip around the center hole. If your early crank is out, you can have it machined for the TF converter. The later crank will swap in with no problems. You will need the correct later flywheel for the TF trans. No conversion is needed for a manual, as long as you get the correct flywheel for the crank. If you do the conversion, you can still go manual, you just need a different flywheel and pilot bushing.

Here's a link to the adapter ring and machining specs sold here at Bulltear. http://www.bulltear.com/catalog/prod...roducts_id=237
    I tried to find pics of the 2 cranks, but this Photobucket debacle has wiped most pics on the forum.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford