Alright guys, i have a 30 over 401 i got awhile back that i have torn down. Going to be sending it to the machine shop soon to be looked over. It was supposedly rebuilt when i got it. But it was definitely by some shoddy machine shop. The bores look like they have some scuffing on them, and the crank looks like it going to need to be cleaned up as well. The current pistons are deep dish cast.

This is going in CJ7 with an Sm465, on 33's for now. Current gears are 3.54. Which keeps the max speed at about 70 with that old tractor 258.

I'm thinking 10:1 compression, 500hp?
-I'm not opposed to a methanol injection system for the high compression either.
-Big oil pan,
-Roller cam maybe for the broader rpm range? geared toward a hard midrange. Not worried about torque, its already a 401, in a lightweight jeep with a granny gear 1st
-Holley Sniper Efi
-Can i get/do 6" rods without stroking it?
-I'd like the best performance/endurance i can get, making it happy to spin at 2500-3k all day on the highway. With the occasional slam to 7k rpm.

I drive it like i stole it, and frequently scare passengers going through the local twisty back roads.

I've daily driven my CJ for 8 years, been to Canada, Arizona, the Outer banks, etc.. The 258 gets 17 mpg but is no fun on the interstate.