Thread: Looking for Honest Opinion on the Bulltear Timing Chain Cover

Bulltear forum member New to the forum

Looking for Honest Opinion on the Bulltear Timing Chain Cover

I am looking to possibly buy the timing chain cover offered by Bulltear. Specifically, the oil pump gear cavities in my current cover has quite a few gouges. I have been seeing a bunch of mixed reviews, especially about the distributor mount causing a missalignment of the distributor and oil pump gears.

Does anyone on here have a successful experience with this cover?

Any and all information is welcomed...Thank you in advance.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    All covers purchased from Bulltear are measured on a jig before being shipped to the customer. I am personally running 2 of them (one plain aluminum and one nickle plated), I haven't had any problem with fitment of the distributor or oil pump. I'm also running the HRC pump gears and midplates on both engines. Oil pressures are good, one engine has over 20,000 miles on it since rebuilt.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Thanks for the information Bob! That definetly helps my decision making process!

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    I have to say that I know Matt (owner of Bulltear). I do know that at one point nearly 50% of the covers he got were failing his check. I don't know if the manufacturer has improved their machining or QC. I think there are 2 sources for covers from China (nothing made in the USA), so no matter where you buy they come from the same sources. Why not get one that is at least checked?

Unless the gouges in your current cover are really deep, they have little effect on pressure. Wear at the top (in the cover) and bottom (filter adapter) have a bigger effect. Getting the end clearance on the oil pump gears right will keep your oil pressure up. The TSM says the pump gears should stick out .0025" - .0065". There are gaskets available in a couple of thicknesses. Clearance should be .002" - .004" between the gear and wall at 180* from where the gears mesh.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

I'll try a proform cover....never been able to fully sit distributor in.

Have order a nickel cover from them 2 day ago....just need to be patient to get it. I'M pretty the waiting time worth the product :)