I just bought my 3rd jeep, a 1978 CJ7. 304/T400 Quadratrac. My last jeep was a 1977 CJ7 a chevy conversion. Well here I am with a very nice, stock Jeep and I really want to make it nice, but the 304 just doesn't quite do it for me.

I have a few questions and I will list it out. This site looks like a place where I may get some insight on how to do justice to the jeep and not cannabalize it in the process

1. Rear end, Dana 20. It looks very good, not bowed like from what I have read happens. This would be a 2 p axle I believe. Should it get a 1 p axle. On that note, I have always stuffed Detroit lockers in my 4x4's and I don't really have a fear about control problems from them.

2. The Trans and Transfer case is in great shape and just had them looked over. The quadratrac was converted to part time at some point as it has locking hubs, but I don't see a need to make changes

3 suspension. omg 1980's 1 to 2 inch rancho suspension. This is intolerable for an old fart like me on the streets. I need a compromise between road comfort and suspension off road.

4 tires : 31 inch and I am happy with em. I dont need to hunt for a ladder to climb in this.

5. 304 is ok, but a bit limp wristed. Would I be making a mistake by putting a mild 401 in this? I would probably go with a stock lower end with a little head work and a basic aluminum intake.

on that note EFI seems very popular these days.

thoughts? did i post this in the wrong area? thank you for your patience. I will follow up with a picture or two from my phone.