Thread: Milky oil

Hybrid View

Bulltear forum member Swabie

Milky oil

Well preparing for the worse...

I picked Jeep up from the detailer today and noticed the motor was running hot.
    Make a long story short, I was a gallon low on coolant and after pulling the dipstick I’m detecting a hint of milky haze. I promptly pulled the truck into the loading dock at work and I just had to walk away I was so frustrated.

Motor is a 360 I built and documented on this forum a few years ago.. I prob have 5000 miles on the CJ6 and although I have had my gremlins to chase down the motor has been reliable.
    The Jeep was in storage all winter, started it now and then over the winter.. no issue.

The day I pulled it out of storage it was hard to start.. motor acted a bit funny.. unsure if this is a relevant or not.

Plan as of tomorrow AM is get it towed over to a buddy’s shop and have the oil changed, coolant flushed and start with a compression test. I’ve never dealt with a head gasket issue so my diagnostic skills aren’t refined.. any suggestions
    Bad gas mileage gets you to some of the greatest places on earth.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    If the oil level is about normal you could just have some condensation in the crankcase. It's actually pretty common in vehicles that are stored for long periods, especially if it wasn't allowed to run for a period of time at operating temp. Get it up to operating temp and drive for 1/2 hour or more. That will give the oil time to heat up and evaporate the water out. The oil should return to a normal color.

If the oil level is high, then you might have a leaky head gasket or possibly the timing cover passages between the water pump and block. Look for oil in the coolant, fluids usually go both ways if the head gasket is leaking. Remove the radiator cap with it running (thermostat open but not too hot), look for bubbles in the coolant. That will indicate a compression leak. Good luck in finding the problem.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    If the oil level is about normal you could just have some condensation in the crankcase. It's actually pretty common in vehicles that are stored for long periods, especially if it wasn't allowed to run for a period of time at operating temp. Get it up to operating temp and drive for 1/2 hour or more. That will give the oil time to heat up and evaporate the water out. The oil should return to a normal color.

If the oil level is high, then you might have a leaky head gasket or possibly the timing cover passages between the water pump and block. Look for oil in the coolant, fluids usually go both ways if the head gasket is leaking. Remove the radiator cap with it running (thermostat open but not too hot), look for bubbles in the coolant. That will indicate a compression leak. Good luck in finding the problem.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford