Thread: Oil pump installation advice please

Bulltear forum member New to the forum

Oil pump installation advice please

I know all of this info is out there but I’ve read so many different opinions that I’m just going to start fresh with my situation. So I put a rebuilt 360 from S&J engines in my jeep. New timing cover, filter adapter from bulltear, new pump gears and pick up tube. This is my first endeavor into replacing an amc engine and I have no oil pressure. My gauge does jump from no reading up to around the zero mark on my stock gauge. I’ve got the oil pan and cover back off. My next steps are to
    1 - Install the button into the pickup tube that I found on the old one to create space from bottom of pan that I was unaware of. (Hopefully my main problem).
    2 - I didn’t use the mid plate that I bought in favor of hand lapping the adaptor as well as the cover since my clearance was over spec and there were some scratches in the new adapter. I used the water based compound I found at napa, the .007 gasket no sealer and torqued to spec. I ended up with a leak that was more of a stream than a drip. Is this compound to course? Should I follow with something finer? I’m pretty sure I got them flat.
    3 - Finally, I used high tack for both sides of the timing cover to engine gasket the first go around. Thought I’d double check before my second try. Thank you.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    Make sure the pump gear cavity is filled with oil or vaseline. They don't self-prime. If the gears are dry, they will never suck oil from the pan. I've used a mid plate on my last 3 builds. I like that the pump is running against steel instead of aluminum, it just makes sense to me as far as wear goes. My preferred sealant is Permatex ultra gray, but the high tack will work. Just make sure the gasket is in place around the entire cover. I've seen them slip and leave a gap.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    Make sure the pump gear cavity is filled with oil or vaseline. They don't self-prime. If the gears are dry, they will never suck oil from the pan. I've used a mid plate on my last 3 builds. I like that the pump is running against steel instead of aluminum, it just makes sense to me as far as wear goes. My preferred sealant is Permatex ultra gray, but the high tack will work. Just make sure the gasket is in place around the entire cover. I've seen them slip and leave a gap.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Bulltear forum member New to the forum
    Thank you. I did use vaseline the first time around. I got an initial spike of around 40 psi but instantly went to zero. I will try again and with the mid plate this time. Would you have any idea why I would have such an extreme leak between the adapter and cover. The gasket was there and was torqued correctly. It was almost like the oil didn’t have anywhere else to go.