Thread: HOT start problems 401

Bulltear forum member Cook

HOT start problems 401

so im going to post what I have done and how I end up fixing the issue.

Things I have and have done.

For the first thing it has shorty headers and man it gets hot under that hood,the 401 is sitting in my jeep yj and I never really had starting issues till I threw the headers I THINK let me explain.
    previously the jeep had charging issues so I am not 100% sure about the when I started noticing my starter was giving me a hard time BUT IM HERE NOW

SO I put in a powermaster mini starter and all charging issues have been fixed im running 0 gauge wire to everything,alt starter and battery,three ground wires all 0 gauge.

jeep starts great when its cold,take it down to get gas or a coffee and it acts like its a low battery,turns very slow but turns,get home check charging system and battery NO PROBLEMS THERE 14.2V

Well headers are off the jeep and wrapped,waiting on new gaskets from summit...I dont put cheap felpro shit on my rig they suck and leak.

im looking at a starter blanket to 40bucks what could it hurt at this point.

also you can clock the powermaster a tad but you are still dam close to the header.

WELL for any of you guys that have fixed your heat soak problem chime in or if you are reading this because you have this problem..then stay tuned this will get fixed and ill post what I did CHEERS BROTHER!

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    Double check all of your power and ground wires. My 360 powered CJ had the same issue, turned out to be a poorly crimped lug on the end of the ground wire. Where's your battery? Still under the hood? The main ground should be direct to the block, then ground wires from the block to frame and battery to body.

Carry a set of jumper cables. Next time it happens, run one of the leads directly from the battery negative to the starter body, and see if it cranks normally. That will prove a bad ground elsewhere.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    Double check all of your power and ground wires. My 360 powered CJ had the same issue, turned out to be a poorly crimped lug on the end of the ground wire. Where's your battery? Still under the hood? The main ground should be direct to the block, then ground wires from the block to frame and battery to body.

Carry a set of jumper cables. Next time it happens, run one of the leads directly from the battery negative to the starter body, and see if it cranks normally. That will prove a bad ground elsewhere.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Bulltear forum member Cook
    ok guys I belive I fixed my issues no more heat soak for sure, also made a vid on the whole thing https://youtu.be/u-hAQLWdEzE