I'm running a 401 in my CJ-7 and have occasionally lost oil pressure on steep vertical climbs. It's not often and it has to be very steep for it to happen, and the oil pressure will not return as soon as it levels out. I've had it happen on steep downhill descents, but the oil pressure returns right away when it starts to level out. The other difference is I'm usually running a higher RPM on the climbs versus pointing downhill. And I'm talking 2000 to 3000 RPM, not foot to the floor kind of RPMs. I've come to the conclusion that because I must let it set for a few minutes after losing oil pressure, the oil is contacting the crankshaft and foaming, causing this issue. I've tried running a quart over and that didn't seem to make any difference and had wondered if that could worsen the problem. This past winter, I installed a crank scraper and a Milodon pan with baffles, but not the one with the trap doors in the bottom. Well, it happened again this past weekend when I did a fairly steep climb and bounced it pretty hard at the bottom of the hill. And, of course, it happens on the steepest obstacle and the last thing you want to do is shut it down but also the first thing you want to do. As of right now, I'm considering installing an engine oil accumulator before I start tossing rods through the block. I would think cars running road race courses would experience the same oil starvation issues during times of hard cornering and racers during hard launches. Any others have experience with this issue?

Dallas Lemon