Thread: Driving cross-country with an unknown '75 401. What preventative mods suggested?

Bulltear forum member New to the forum

Exclamation Driving cross-country with an unknown '75 401. What preventative mods suggested?

I will be putting about 4,000 miles on a '75 J20 with a 401 in June of 2022. I bought the truck online, based on about 4 pictures and a description of "Runs, Drives, and Stops". I plan on doing a LOT of preventative maintenence before starting this trip.

What do you suggest as far as oiling? I'm not opposed to a remote filter and oil cooler. At some point this truck will do a lot of hauling and towing, anyhow.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    What kind of mileage on the engine? Under 100K, slap on a quality filter and fresh oil and you're good to go. Not much you can do short of a rebuild if oil pressure is low due to high miles.

Change all fluids. Oil and coolant in engine, power steering, trans, diffs. Also get fresh brake fluid in it all the way to the wheel cylinders and check brake pads/shoes. A new battery, belts and hoses aren't a bad idea either. I recently did this to a 1974 Javelin. Pulled it out of a garage where it had sat for 18 years. Drove it a few hundred miles after things mentioned above.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    What kind of mileage on the engine? Under 100K, slap on a quality filter and fresh oil and you're good to go. Not much you can do short of a rebuild if oil pressure is low due to high miles.

Change all fluids. Oil and coolant in engine, power steering, trans, diffs. Also get fresh brake fluid in it all the way to the wheel cylinders and check brake pads/shoes. A new battery, belts and hoses aren't a bad idea either. I recently did this to a 1974 Javelin. Pulled it out of a garage where it had sat for 18 years. Drove it a few hundred miles after things mentioned above.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford