Thread: Fresh rebuilt AMC304, first start up and oil psi is too high

Hybrid View

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    It could be that the pressure relief valve is stuck. There's a big nut on the oil filter adapter. Behind it there's a spring and plunger. Make sure the plunger moves freely and that it faces the right direction. The pointed end goes in first. I have heard that some of the aftermarket adapters had the hole drilled on the small side of the tolerance limit.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Bulltear forum member New to the forum
    Thanks for the reply. I'm going to try that. Spoke to my engine builder this morning. He suggested that I try the sending unit for the gauge and a mechanical gauge first to ensure that the pressure is that high. Then open up the pressure relief valve. So I'm going to try all that and let you all know what results I get.

Harold

Bulltear forum member New to the forum
    Thanks for the reply. I'm going to try that. Spoke to my engine builder this morning. He suggested that I try the sending unit for the gauge and a mechanical gauge first to ensure that the pressure is that high. Then open up the pressure relief valve. So I'm going to try all that and let you all know what results I get.

Harold